Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How fast should I be going???? What is the issue here????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How fast should I be going???? What is the issue here????

Okay, I own an 82 gs750t. Everything seems good to go, been riding a lot. However, my dilemma begins. Since the day I bought this bucket of bolts I have been told by every old timer who owned one or saw one this bike will sh#t and git. Well I've been excited to be gittin. I thought maybe it was a ring issue but no and it only has 16400 miles on it. I shift smoothly into 1st and at 20 miles an hour I am at 9000 (redline). Second is 30 and third is 40 at fourth I can get to 50 but I am in redline and in 5th I can get to 65 -68 tops before redline. The damn thing is smooth as hell but geez the speedo does go to 110 ( I think) Anybody ,, Anybody Bueller???? Anybody???? Please

Does the clutch sound/seem to be slipping
    Personally, I would think soemthing is wrong if you are redlining @20mph :? :? :?
    I know others will help here.
    Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
    2000 Kawasaki Concours
    Please wear ATGATT

Comment

Re: How fast should I be going???? What is the issue here???

Redline in 5th gear on a 750 is about 128 mph. Either your clutch is adjusted so tightly that it cannot engage, or it is worn out and slipping about 85%.

Earl

Originally posted by sparks
      Okay, I own an 82 gs750t. Everything seems good to go, been riding a lot. However, my dilemma begins. Since the day I bought this bucket of bolts I have been told by every old timer who owned one or saw one this bike will sh#t and git. Well I've been excited to be gittin. I thought maybe it was a ring issue but no and it only has 16400 miles on it. I shift smoothly into 1st and at 20 miles an hour I am at 9000 (redline). Second is 30 and third is 40 at fourth I can get to 50 but I am in redline and in 5th I can get to 65 -68 tops before redline. The damn thing is smooth as hell but geez the speedo does go to 110 ( I think) Anybody ,, Anybody Bueller???? Anybody???? Please
      Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

In 5th at 50 mph. does the engine sound like it's at 9000rpm, or is it just that the tach says 9000? If it sounds like 9000 & the tach shows 9000, the clutch has got to be slipping. If the tach shows 9000 & the engine sounds like 3500rpm, something must be wrong with the tach

Comment

I have an 82 GS 750T and I can say without a doubt it will get up and go. Just curious did you change the oil? I changed my oil and used the wrong kind and my clutch started slipping really bad. I drained it out and put regular motorcycle oil in it and after a few miles it was pulling strong again. As for how fast it will go.... heck I don't know Your speedo only goes to 85 mph. I do know I caught a Harley that tried to leave me in the dust, should have seen the look on his face when I pulled up beside him and he didn't have any more throttle, and I shifted to fifth and just left him way back there. According to my speedo I was only going 85

Comment

One of three things,

Bad tach

Hard tire

Slipping clutch

You can always go down to the local car wash and butt that front tire up against the brick wall and give her some gas OK alot of gas in 2nd or 3rd gear. No smoke, bad clutch= high RPM's.

That front end should be trying to leave the ground and should nose back over when shifting if not then it sounds like a clutch problem.

If it's a slipping clutch when your in first gear it will only slip more in the higher gears do to the reduce gear ratio meaning more torque on the clutch assy and the exhaust note should be screaming. If not then I'd check the tach too.
            1166cc 1/8 ET 6.09@111.88
            1166cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.70@122.85
            1395cc 1/8 ET 6.0051@114.39
            1395cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.71@113.98 "With a broken wrist pin too"
            01 Sporty 1/8 ET 7.70@92.28, 1/4 ET 12.03@111.82

Comment

I dunno if this would make that big of a difference, but if you've got a huge rear sproket and a real small front sproket? make sure you've got the stock 15/41 gearing.

Comment

Why go to the car wash. want lots of smoke just dump some bleach on the pavement behind your wifes car then put the front tire of your bike up against the bumper 7500 rpms in 2nd or 3rd should create nice clouds of smoke coming off the rear tire. higher rpms will work to

Comment

Two words..... Pro Pipe :twisted:
                  1166cc 1/8 ET 6.09@111.88
                  1166cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.70@122.85
                  1395cc 1/8 ET 6.0051@114.39
                  1395cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.71@113.98 "With a broken wrist pin too"
                  01 Sporty 1/8 ET 7.70@92.28, 1/4 ET 12.03@111.82

Comment

I am using the walmart brand 20w-50 oil. Is this an area of concern? I have been told too heavy an oil can cause this issue. I was thinking that a clutch with only 16000 miles on it should be okay eventhough it is 23 years old. Is this also incorrect thinking?

Comment

oil

I think your oil is fine; only the energy conserving stuff (i.e. 10-30) could cause such a profound difference. I think your clutch is bound to be the problem! Let us know!
                      1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Why, OH WHY 8O am I so tempted to make some smart comment about "chain stretching" here?

Comment

Working...
                        X