carb questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

carb questions

My bike wasn't running but after checking things I decided it needed new ignition components. I replaced points/condensors/coils and then the bike fired right up. Problem is only the right side cylinders are getting hot and the bike has no power since its only running on 2 cylinders. I checked the spark on the left side and foudn it to be good but for some reason teh plugs are still wet. I want to try synching the carbs but dont' know where the vacuum ports are that I hook the gauges up to. I dont' have a manual but think i have the procedure pretty well worked out except wehre to hook up the gauges. any help or any websites going through the process step by step?

thanks

Not sure if carb synchs are online, but Google might help you.

What kind of bike?

On the bigger GS's, the ports are on the underside of the intake ports. Not on the boots like you'd see on an XS. They're plugged with hex-head bolts. Remove those bolts, put in your adapters, then connect hoses.

If you need adapters, you can get them from Morgan (http://www.carbtune.com/carbaccs.html).

Someone else could probably give you a better idea of the procedure, but basically it goes like this:

1) Attach hoses and warm up bike
    2) Get friend/clamp to hold throttle at about 2,500-3,000 rpm
    3) You can't adjust carb #3, so adjust the others to match it; the outside two carbs should flow 3cm/Hg higher with a stock airbox. Turn clockwise to lower flow, cc to raise flow
    4) When sync'd, lock down adjustment nuts and ride

Comment

What kind of bike do you have? It's kinda important...

My page on intake o-rings shows a few clear pics of an intake boot and the allen head screw that's (supposed to be) installed in the synchronizing port. Do these ports have screws installed?

This page shows another bike that has the sync ports in the cylinder head, but the principle is the same.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

oops, 78 gs750E

Comment

This guy is good:

That'll help you out.

Comment

If your plugs are wet, it must be getting fuel.
            Since you replaced points and such, what about timing? IF you have spark and fuel and it's not firing, then it may not be firing on the compression stroke.

Comment

Working...
            X