charging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

charging

When the bike is running the headlight is dim but when I goose it the headlight gets brighter but the multimeter still reads 12v or below. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Re: charging

Originally posted by gravedigger8
    When the bike is running the headlight is dim but when I goose it the headlight gets brighter but the multimeter still reads 12v or below. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
    looks like you need to print the

and follow the instructions...

Comment

finally got a digital multimeter. charging system runs at 12.5 when ideling when rpm's are at 2800-3000 volts read 13.98 at 5000 rpm's it reads 11.9 that trouble chart was a little confusing

Comment

Originally posted by gravedigger8
        finally got a digital multimeter. charging system runs at 12.5 when ideling when rpm's are at 2800-3000 volts read 13.98 at 5000 rpm's it reads 11.9 that trouble chart was a little confusing
        Something's not right...You should read 13.5 to 14.8 volts when you rev to 5000 RPM. Disconnect the three stator leads and put an ohm meter on them...there should be some reading. If you get infinity ohms, then the stator either is bad or has a lead that has broken loose.

If the stator ohms OK then set you Voltmeter on AC and have someone rev the engine to 5000 RPM and check the voltage between each lead (three leads, three measurements). Should read 80V or better (normally around 85V). If not then the stator is bad.

Do you have a stock regulator? What size and year is your bike?

Hap

Comment

the first thing to do before following the trouble shooting chart is to clean or better yet replace all the conections for the stator to the regulator/rectifier and from the reg./rec. to the battery.

also make sure the regulator/ rectifier is grounded good, A comon fix is to extend the ground leed for the reg./ rec. to the ground post on the battery.

leon

Comment

It looks stock,78'1000E

p.s. I did run it low on oil once,at idle the light came on when i reved it the light went out this was when i stopped after a 1/2 mile ride.

Comment

Working...
            X