Replacing Intake O-Rings....?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacing Intake O-Rings....?

I took my manifold boots off as I am about to change the head gasket on my 79' GS1000. The O-rings in the boots basically just fell apart when i took them off. Is this something I need to visit the dealer for, or might the local hardware store have something the right size?

Don't get them at a hardware store! You need Viton o-rings, which is what the OEM o-rings are made of. Regular o-rings will go bad pretty quickly because they are not heat-resistant.

I give an explanation and an alternative here:
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

awesome...thanks for the response....

Comment

Yeah. Get geniune Suzuki or the equivalent quality.
        Apply some hi-temp bearing grease to help them last. Replace any Phillips with Allens so you can torque them to 6 ft/lb. Over-tightening just crushes them and causes them to crack sooner.
        And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
        Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

They are only about $2 ea from Suzuki.

Comment

Working...
          X