need help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

need help

a couple of weeks ago i took the r/r off of my 83 gs 650G and i got around to putting it back on the other day and i went for a ride and it left me sranded the battery died. so i get it home and look it over and the r/r plugs were kinda melted and crusty so i soildered them together and went for another ride bam same thing happened . is the and thing i should check out first or should i just start testing every thing. Also how do you test to see if a battery is any good . thanks

Try checking the voltage coming out of the regulator. If the wires are melted the regulator may not be working and just cooking your electrical system.

Im not much of a mechanic but it sounds like the problem i had with my regulator.

Comment

I had the same problem. My regulator was the culprit.

Comment

also,

As far as your battery goes. The regulator could be allowing too much power back to the battery evaporating (or burning off) the fluids. Wich would make your battery weak. If you have a tester check each cell in your battery after refilling with distilled water (double check this on the web) and charging.

To check the regulator, start the bike and let it warm up (at idle speed) Then begin to rev the bike with the tester on the regulator. If the voltage gets over 15 volts (im almost positive its around 15 volts) the regulator is bad.

If it turns out the regulator is bad and you ned to replace it, you can replace it with an electrix regulator. If your low on cash you can go the route that i did. Check the dennis kirk catalog and see what models take the same regulator as yours. You can then try to find a used one on the web.

I got 2 regulators off of ebay (both worked) for under $20 each.

One is off of a gs250 and one is off of a gs550

hope that helps

Comment

Working...
        X