750/1100 Engine Swap??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

750/1100 Engine Swap??

I Have a 82 GS 750T. Will a 1000 or a 1100 motor bolt right in? Need some more HP for the strip!

You will need different motor mounts...it might be cheaper and easier to just buy a GS1100 and put the side panels from your 750 on there (if you want to keep everyone thinking you still have a 750).

Hap

Comment

750/1100 Engine Swap

Thanks Hap, Just wondered if it would bolt in. The wife probably wouldn't appreciate me buying another bike. I gota get some Lottery tickets or something

Comment

Re: 750/1100 Engine Swap??

Originally posted by GSSTEVE
        I Have a 82 GS 750T. Will a 1000 or a 1100 motor bolt right in? Need some more HP for the strip!
        The 16valve 1100 will bolt right in with only the bottom engine mount not matching up. So you would have an option of either fabricating an engine mount or leaving it off which is what I did on mine after being advised from a friend who roadraced one back in the '80's. 8 yrs and about 40k miles later I've not noticed it missing.

Comment

Re: 750/1100 Engine Swap?? Dan G.

Curious.... considering the weight, niether the 750 nor the 1100 engines can be removed and replaced by hand. (at least not by me) How did you go about swapping the engines into the frame?

Earl

Originally posted by moto_dan
          The 16valve 1100 will bolt right in with only the bottom engine mount not matching up. So you would have an option of either fabricating an engine mount or leaving it off which is what I did on mine after being advised from a friend who roadraced one back in the '80's. 8 yrs and about 40k miles later I've not noticed it missing.
          Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Buddies and Beer!!

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor
              Curious.... considering the weight, niether the 750 nor the 1100 engines can be removed and replaced by hand. (at least not by me) How did you go about swapping the engines into the frame?

Earl

Visualize a monkey and greased basketball then read on. I have a wooden box built that is close in height to the bottom frame tubes which I place the engine on(sometimes with a little help), then I slide the box close to the frame and slowly ease(tilt) the engine onto the tube(protected) with some cardboard, 'til it's balanced and slowly work the engine between the tubes and then with a floor jack and wood block under the oil pan I position engine into place and bolt up. It is much easier if I have another person helping, but I have R/R several inline 4's using this method and working alone.

Comment

Yeah when I switched from an 850 to a 1000, I got myself and 2 others to move it in, it was not fun, but the good thing about a s engine is you can drop it and not really hurt anything.

Comment

Thanks Dan. That sounds do-able by myself. Lemme see now, 7-11 conversion, bolt up the turbo, jet carbs for nitro and go lookin for Hawee's. :-) :-) :twisted:

Earl

[quote="moto_dan"
                  I have a wooden box built that is close in height to the bottom frame tubes which I place the engine on(sometimes with a little help), then I slide the box close to the frame and

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Hang on!

This makes a 7/11 look tame.

Comment

Re: Hang on!

Sure looks like a real run ride to me. :-)

Earl

Comment

Thanks Dan....I can build a box, I have the tools....I have the technology. Just need a motor. Steve

Comment

I tyrap newspaper around my frame rails to keep them from getting scratched when pulling or installing an engine. Also it is easier to put the engine in without the head on (or cylinders for that matter).

Hap

Comment

Working...
                          X