any way to make a side cover???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

any way to make a side cover???

Well rode my bike to work today for the first time since I broke my arm. Leaving work I get onto I-40 heading home and I feel something hit my leg and looked back just in time to see the 18 wheeler behind me run over my right side cover. So does any one know of a way to fabricate the whole side cover? Or where I can get one? I know ebay, but they very rarely show up for an 83 GS1100GK. Any suggestions would be greatly appriciated.

www.crotchrocket.com was a little cheaper than that. I just bought one for my right side, but didn't realize it would arrive bank, no paint, no decal pen striping. I am thinking of taking it (with the old one) do the local body shop and getting a quote.

It is black plastic, and my original is painted black. Almost a match. I think I paid 65, I'll have to go look at my post here comparing prices.

I have seen many on ebay, but it's a crap shoot finding one that matches color, model etc.

Comment

Well sickz's web site let me down, I put in the part # there (I've got the fliche) and it was either not found or discontinued at all of the normal web sites his checks. So I assumed they were no longer available Jt's has them for like $47 each so I will go ahead and order them, but won't have it for the rally. Does anyone know if a missing side cover will cause you to fail a safety inspection? My current inspection is due this month so I've got to get it inspected before the Rally.

Comment

Interesting question. Thought I would give it a shot. I used an old dryer vent, some snips, and a body hammer and dolly. I'm missing a side panel myself. I might just get some real sheet metal and make some.

Comment

side panels

Thomas

That's a great picture and I like the look. I've often though about trying something that would look just like that. I think those plastic GS panels are not the greatest and to make some new ones out of metal would be great. If you can post your work and how you did it in the future that would be helpful.
          Great idea.

79 GS 850

Comment

you could always make a buck out of that blue foamboard, and fiberglass one... it'd be alot of work, but definately doable

Comment

What's this "blue foamboard" stuff? I'm pretty handy with fiberglass and would love to try that for a project. I'm assuming you mean to make a mold with the foamboard. Where can I get this?

Comment

you could probably find it at a Home depot or the likes. I couldn't find a link on the web, but its a pretty dense foam used for insulation underneath concrete.

Comment

Working...
                X