Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My carb boots are too hard to get my carbs back on.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My carb boots are too hard to get my carbs back on.

Does anyone know of a way to soften these things up? I was thinking of a quick two minute dip in carb cleaner. Anyone have an opinion on this or a way to soften them up enough to get my carbs back on? Alpha sports has new ones for $26 each, but I am sure hoping to get off easier than that. I'm sure most on ebay will be just as hard since they are all 24+ years old just like mine our.

I would think that if they are that hard that it would be in your best interest to replace them. Cause they may crack as your putting your carbs in too.

Comment

Ditto on replacing them...but when you put on the new ones, spary on a little WD-40 to help with the installation.
      1981 GS 450L

2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom

The good we do no one remembers.
      The bad we do no one forgets.

Mark 5:36 -- Overhearing what they said, Jesus told him, "Don't be afraid; just believe".

Comment

Don't use the WD40. Use silicon spray lube instead.
        I would definitely replace the carb boots, though.

Comment

A hair drier on high or a heat gun will soften them right up, Temporarily.

Comment

the easiest way ive found is to place the boots on the motor first, they must be aligned well, all carbs have to go in at the same time and ya have to push very hard. try stradling the bike then reach down and grab the two outside carbs when pushing the carbs with yer hands put your knees against the back of yer hands and push with your legs this will give you more leverage and they will pop on. i thought id never get mine back on and figured id have to buy new ones, once on the old ones are workin just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by xDUKEx
              the easiest way ive found is to place the boots on the motor first, they must be aligned well, all carbs have to go in at the same time and ya have to push very hard. try stradling the bike then reach down and grab the two outside carbs when pushing the carbs with yer hands put your knees against the back of yer hands and push with your legs this will give you more leverage and they will pop on. i thought id never get mine back on and figured id have to buy new ones, once on the old ones are workin just fine.
              Tried that already. There was a little blood.

Thanks for the input. I'll be buying new boots.

Comment

Watch the new boots

I ordered new boots for my 81 GS750E, the engine side boots were perfect, but the aircleaner side boots were a problem. I got them from bike bandit and the part number has changed from Suzuki. The ones I got were just a little too big so I needed different clamps but now they work great. It is so easy to R&R the carbs now.

Comment

Re: Watch the new boots

Originally posted by doorman4444
                  I ordered new boots for my 81 GS750E, the engine side boots were perfect, but the aircleaner side boots were a problem. I got them from bike bandit and the part number has changed from Suzuki. The ones I got were just a little too big so I needed different clamps but now they work great. It is so easy to R&R the carbs now.
                  Isn't it amazing when something goes like it's supposed too?

Comment

I couldn't get mine on so I used some silicone grease inside the boots and they went right on.

Comment

Lithium Grease

I was having this exact same trouble with mine, trying to get all four carbs to fit in was a nightmare, that was with help, and there was no way they would go on... I considered removing the boots from the engine and then installing the whole unit but the screws are not accessable with the carbs in place (strike one for the engineers). The rubber should be hard but not brittle, because once he carbs fit in they wont go anywhere, if the rubber is too soft they will sag from the weight and possibly fall out.
                      What I did was take some white lithium grease on a small parts brush and I brushed on a thin layer around the inside of all 4 boots, dont use a lot you dont want it getting into the carbs, just a thin layer will sufice.
                      When I went to push the carbs went right in, this was after 2 men pusing on it from both sides, there was no way it would go in. The grease did the trick. just put enough to coat all the way around, you can even put a little on the carbs and whipe off any extra. You should be able to save the money unless they are dryrotted and cracked they should be somewhat hard considering their purpose... Mine went in so easily I couldn't believe it...
                      Good Luck Bill

Comment

I didn't try grease, but I did use generouse portions of WD40 to no avail. I bought all new ones. They should be here in a few days.

Comment

The white lithium did the trick for me also. I also used a small brass wire brush on the engine tubes. They had a coating of junk, corosion, doo doo.

Another thing I've done, a quick repair of the boot. I found a small crack sucking air along the casting line on one boot. I filed it smooth. Then cut a piece of bicycle tube to make a patch. It's already a radial, then used the patch kit glue. No more leak.

Chris

Comment

I had to get mine warmed up, and use lots of lube too. 8O

I like silicone!

Comment

I used Carmex lip balm, it was in my pocket at the time. And it gives the boots that soothing vanilla smell.

Comment

Working...
                              X