Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb Body - anybody got one?

81 GS550T

Got the plugs installed by the factory out no problem, thanks to the help of the wonderful people on the list, but now one of the air screws is stuck, frozen, no movement. Soaked the carb body in carb dip for 24 hours, still nothing. Going to let it sit over night with liquid wrench in the hole, to see if that helps. Have very gently hit the screwdriver in the notch to see if that would loosen it enough to let the carb cleaner and or liquid wrench soak in. Afraid to strip the screw head, so no luck yet. Any ideas? Any one got a carb body to sell? Number 2 as you as you sit on the bike, counting from left to right

try ebay, you can find a whole rack of carbs for a decent price.

Comment

this should be the same carbs you have, 9.99$! you cant beat that.

Comment

Is this the air screw on the back air box side?

Is that the only part left for you to get out? If you have not ruined it yet I would keep going on it. If you get a new body, you may end up with a body that is either different or set up different from yours. Some carbs are set with plugged tubes or ports and others are not. Even if they are the same, something may be different in that new one from your originals. If you got the jets out and all the other parts you might be able to just forget about that one air screw. as long as its not clogged it will be ok. It does not have and internal parts behind it and the threads may be the only thing that is gummed up.

Comment

As Chris says, keep going on it.

Here's a last ditch idea you can try.

You cannot use an open flame because of the fuel residue, and it's not a good idea with aluminum anyway, but you can try pouring boiling water on the stuck part.

Make sure the carb body is well secured and ready for work, plus ensure that the water can run away safely, then pour in half a kettle of boiling water. Dump the water in quickly and jump in with your tools within 10 seconds of pouring in the water.
          Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Well, after many hours of trying, I was unable to dilodge the pilt screw on the 2 and 4 carbs. After 5 minutes of searching on the net, I stumbled across (actually just typed it in, with fingers crossed) the www.motorcyclecarbs.com , emailed Rob the "owner"? and sent my carbs off to be fixed. They do whole sets, down to fixing float posts and the like. Hope they live up to the testimonials on the site - I did get prompt responses to my emails though!!!

Thanks for all the ideas - I'll let you know how this turns out..

Comment

Well, mailing them to www.motorcyclecarbs.com was my last resort, but it all turned out well in the end. Prompt responses to my emails, and carbs on the way back, fixed (removed 2 frozen pilot screws and fixed a broken float post better than new), in 2 days time. A little pricey for me at 50.00 per hour, but I guess you do get what you pay for. If you are in need of carb help and are not mechanically inclined or just don't like the smell of the carb dip, check out this site, as they do anything from whole sets to fixing float posts, that seem to break more often than we liked to admit.. :?

Happy scooting...[/url]

Comment

Working...
              X