Oil Cooler differences

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil Cooler differences

Anyone know if the oil cooler from an 85 1150 is different from the 84 model?
    I am assuming the oil coolers are same whether it has the half fairing or not(?)
    Thanks.

Re: Oil Cooler differences

Originally posted by pjackson
    Anyone know if the oil cooler from an 85 1150 is different from the 84 model?
    I am assuming the oil coolers are same whether it has the half fairing or not(?)
    Thanks.
    Just a guess but if the fittings to the block are the same size that any oil cooler is good

Comment

I have got through my Suzuki service manual, which covers the GSX1100/GS1150 E no fairing, ES sports/half fairing and EF full fairing models 1984 - 86.

I could not find anything in the manual that said that there would be any different oil cooler for the different models as for the years.

It looks like the same oil cooler is mounted to all the mentioned models.

You can se some pictures a scanned, according to the manual they all goes for all models and years mentioned,

Comment

Thanks a lot KZ. I'm looking at an 85 1150 unit for my 1100 (The 1150 units are more plentiful the ones made specifically for the 1100).
        I can compare and measure against my 84 1150 but wasn't sure if the 85 would be different enough to matter.

Comment

I have an "85" 1150 E & a "86" 1150 ES. The coolers look exactly the same. Shop manuel lists changes made from year to year, nothing listed about oli coolers changing any year

Comment

oil cooler differences

Thanks a lot KZ. I'm looking at an 85 1150 unit for my 1100 (The 1150 units are more plentiful the ones made specifically for the 1100).
            I can compare and measure against my 84 1150 but wasn't sure if the 85 would be different enough to matter.
            Hi pjackson....I too have an '85 1150 cooler coming...plan on putting it on my '82 1100E over the winter....I understand they bolt right on to the supplied cooler fitting outlets, but require the 1150 oil filter cover to be used, as it blocks an internal gallery and diverts oil to the cooler....(still looking for more info on this) but I bought the 1150 cover along with the cooler &lines, so I guess comparing them will shed some light.....do you plan on changing the oil pump driving gear as well, in order to increase oilpressure.....I would like to do this to make up for a pressure drop resulting from adding the cooler, but have yet to get hold of the gear.....read somewhere that a GS750 gear would do the trick, but I'm not sure which years are compatible.....anyone know?
            Anyway, please let us know how it goes!
            '82 GS1100E

Originally posted by themess
            Only in your own mind did you refute what I wrote.

Comment

Mysuzyq,

I'm watching an 1150 cooler on E-Bay and but it's starting to become popular. So it may the next time before I get one.
              You get yours on E-Bay?

There are several posts on here about using the 750 gear on an 1100. Some for, some didn't see the need, but I don't recall seeing one that said it would cause a problem. Run a search on it. There is good info there.

I do recall something about the differences in the oil filters. The ones for my 1100 and 1150 have one minor difference that I can see. The knob/post/whatever as you look inside the seal that goes toward the engine is longer on the 1150. I assume thats what helps force some of the oil through the cooler.

Good luck. Let me know how the installation goes.

Comment

Mysuzyq,

I'm watching an 1150 cooler on E-Bay and but it's starting to become popular. So it may the next time before I get one.
                You get yours on E-Bay?

There are several posts on here about using the 750 gear on an 1100. Some for, some didn't see the need, but I don't recall seeing one that said it would cause a problem. Run a search on it. There is good info there.(/quote)
                Sure will, pjackson....thanks for the info....I'm a new GS owner and new to the resources as well...a lot of info. to read up on at this great site!
                I too was looking for a cooler on ebay, but stock ones seem rarer to find...did'nt want too much of a hassle hooking up an aftermarket one & was lucky to score one in the "parts" section of this site...I'll let you know if I come across another one , as I will be visiting a few online used-parts stores to hunt down the 750 oil pump driving gear if needed.
                Is yr. 1150 a whole lot faster than the 1100E....its probably heavier as well, but I'm sure a real blast to ride!
                Anyway, ride safe!

I do recall something about the differences in the oil filters. The ones for my 1100 and 1150 have one minor difference that I can see. The knob/post/whatever as you look inside the seal that goes toward the engine is longer on the 1150. I assume thats what helps force some of the oil through the cooler.

Good luck. Let me know how the installation goes.
                '82 GS1100E

Comment

Dumb question. If you add an oil cooler or reservoir or water bottle or anything to the oil system that has a calculatable void, once this fills wouldn't you still have the same 1.42# of oil pressure? The only way I can see it changing is going up from restrictions in the coil and lines. Am I seeing things wrong? Bob

Comment

oil cooler differences

Originally posted by cabinover
                    Dumb question. If you add an oil cooler or reservoir or water bottle or anything to the oil system that has a calculatable void, once this fills wouldn't you still have the same 1.42# of oil pressure? The only way I can see it changing is going up from restrictions in the coil and lines. Am I seeing things wrong? Bob
                    The pressure would be the same..... my concern lies mainly with the oil taking a longer time to travel to the nether parts of the engine from the oil pan, at initial start-up, due to the three-odd feet added to the circulation loop between them.....just thought the 750 gear would move oil through the system more quickly, so installing it along with the cooler would be best. My lay-mans logic.... I guess it must sound dumb to the more mechanically inclned!
                    Tony.
                    '82 GS1100E

Comment

Re: oil cooler differences

Originally posted by Mysuzyq
                      Originally posted by cabinover
                      The pressure would be the same..... my concern lies mainly with the oil taking a longer time to travel to the nether parts of the engine from the oil pan, at initial start-up, due to the three-odd feet added to the circulation loop between them.....just thought the 750 gear would move oil through the system more quickly, so installing it along with the cooler would be best. My lay-mans logic.... I guess it must sound dumb to the more mechanically inclned!
                      Tony.
                      I never thought about until you mentioned it but I wonder if the oil in the cooler and it's lines do drain back and cause a time lag like you mentioned or is there something that stops it from draining back?!?
                      I know it's 20 year old engineering but surely somebody thougt of it.
                      I mean we'd had a man on the moon 20 years before that (if you believe what THEY say anyway )
                      Hmmm...
                      I think though that the the path the oil takes is split beteen the cooler and the filter so maybe it wouldn't cause a problem??

Comment

I would also think that you would need more oil to fill the additional lines and cooler so that you would still have the same amount of oil in the system/oil pan when the engine is running.

Comment

Working...
                        X