Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wheel Bearing Replacement

Howdee Folks!!
    How difficult is it to change wheel bearings ??
    I have an '83 850 shaftie.
    Thinkin of replacing front and rear bearings. :roll:
    Is it something a "Home Grown" mechanic could handle??
    Do I need any "special" tools like Clamps, Press etc??

Any idea on what $$$ this could run me for parts??

All help greatly appreciated.

not too difficult, really, hardest part is getting the rear wheel off (at least on a GK)! Anyhow, replace all 4, and note if they are different sizes on each axle, I know some bikes are different, a front left, and right, and a rear left, and right. Best way for the home tinkerer to remove and replace bearings is to use a socket that fits the OUTSIDE diameter of the bearing and hammer it out with a drift. Installation is same as removal, but just use the hammer on the socket (an old socket extension that you dont mind whacking on works real good) and extension if you need the room. Good luck....

Comment

Thanks Prop.
      Any idea on the cost $$ ??

Understood all of your directions but...What's a drift ??

Comment

JC whitney sells them for between $2.98 to $6.98. they used to have it broke down per bike, but are now just coded in Industry-standard bearing numbers. If memory serves me correct, the GK's were around $4.00 a piece, and 4 total will be needed. Hope that helps, or at least gives an idea.

Comment

I bought mine at a local bearing supply shop. The guy said all bearings were standard sizes. They didn't cost much and I didn't have to pay shipping or wait for them to arrive. By the way, the guy who sold them to me is a friend who has been in the bearing business for over 20 years. Like was stated before, getting the rear wheel off was the hardest part. Just make sure you note the order and orientation of the pieces when you take them off the axle. I had questions about one spacer that is inside the hub. One end is different from the other and I couldn't remember which way it went.

Terry

Comment

Working...
          X