Trying to increase displacment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trying to increase displacment

i helped a guy with a 360 kawasaki triple put the jugs off of a 750 triple on top of his 360 motor. I was thinkin about tryin to fit the jugs off of an 1000 or 1100 gs onto my 850 any ideas on how well they will match up. Haven't worked on a gs bigger then my 850 so not sure exactly how motors match up for stroke or dimensions.

Re: Trying to increase displacment

Originally posted by gzone
    i helped a guy with a 360 kawasaki triple put the jugs off of a 750 triple on top of his 360 motor. I was thinkin about tryin to fit the jugs off of an 1000 or 1100 gs onto my 850 any ideas on how well they will match up. Haven't worked on a gs bigger then my 850 so not sure exactly how motors match up for stroke or dimensions.
    those kawas are two strokes arent they??

Comment

Re: Trying to increase displacment

Originally posted by SLOWPOKE/SCOTTY
      Originally posted by gzone
      those kawas are two strokes arent they??
      Yup.

Comment

Trust me, it won't work; the strokes are different.
        I'd love to get my hands on a Kawa triple though...

Comment

Originally posted by jojo
          Trust me, it won't work; the strokes are different.
          I'd love to get my hands on a Kawa triple though...
          JO JO my neighbor had 2 750s in his garage--one ran and the other as a parts bike--He moved just befor i had a chance to steal the good one.

Comment

most of the differance between the 850 and 1000 is the stroke, the gs 1000 pistons are only 1mm larger than the 850's and the 1100's is 2mm larger than the 1000's

Comment

Please get a bit more practice, Scotty...

Comment

Originally posted by jojo
                Please get a bit more practice, Scotty...
                Im slowing down my friend 8) :?

Comment

Originally posted by focus frenzy
                  most of the differance between the 850 and 1000 is the stroke, the gs 1000 pistons are only 1mm larger than the 850's and the 1100's is 2mm larger than the 1000's
                  Whats the redline on a stock 85 or 1000? Higher than 9k? Do you (or anyone) have a list of bore/stroke/rod_length/deck_height/valve_sizes/stock_cam_specs/etc? Or any of the above?

-=Whittey=-

Comment

The red line on my 79 gs1000E tach reads 8500,, but I know this motor will survive just fine with an occasional trip past 9000,, She's getting older so the trips are fewer these days,, But I've owned it for 7 or 8 years and might of had it up to 10 on a missed shift.. that I wouldn't recommend! 8O

Comment

Thats....wierd... A shorter stroke and a lower redline? Perhaps the bearings don't like it, or they were afraid of valve recession? Hrm. Perhaps they didn't think they could get a proper lowend if they had a tall top end? Wierd...

-=Whittey=-

Comment

Originally posted by Whittey
                        Thats....wierd... A shorter stroke and a lower redline? Perhaps the bearings don't like it, or they were afraid of valve recession? Hrm. Perhaps they didn't think they could get a proper lowend if they had a tall top end? Wierd...

-=Whittey=-
                        The big concern is valve float...don't need those valve things meeting up with those piston things! Get stronger valve springs and you can raise your redline a little BUT you lose some horse power due to the extra energy needed to open and close the valves and there will be an increase of wear and tear on the valve gear.

So you get more aggressive cams to offset the power loss, then new carbs and header to handle the increase on air flow, port the head to take full advantage of the new flow capabilities, weld the crank to insure that the bottom end stays together, beef up the clutch housing to insure it does not fly apart on you due to the extra strain from the additional HP, back cut the transmission gears to handle the extra shock the additional HP will place on the transmission, put in a big bore kit because, heck, you have the engine torn down any way, add an oil cooler to get rid of the new excess heat you are generating, replace all your bearings, replace the chain, gears, and tire because they are wearing out a lot faster now, build up a cash reserve for the additional tickets you will be getting...

Oh...you just wanted to rev a little more...

Hap :roll:

Comment

Hap is right, the GS has a roller crank, so actual RPM's don't really hurt it except in the valve float department. Even with 'heavy duty' type springs, there is a limit......

Comment

Does anyone here know what the seat pressure is at installed height on a stock 1100 or 850? What is it on some of the newer engines with redlines up past 12k? I'm assuming the newer bikes don't use nifty things like pneumatics, etc. When you can get an OHV engine to spin up to 9k rpm, a DOHC should be pretty easy to get to spin much faster, yes?

-=Whittey=-

Comment

thanks that was my biggest question was if the difference was in the stroke or bore size.

Comment

Working...
                              X