Ignition problem with '78 1000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ignition problem with '78 1000

Just bought a 78 GS 1000 on E-bay and I knew it did not run. I put a battery on it and it turned over with no spark on "off." However, when I turned the key to "on," I got nothing. So, thinking it was a bad ignition I replaced it with a brand-new one. However, I'm still having exactly the same thing happening. It will turn over on everything but "on," and when it's turned to that, I get nothing. Any suggestions what to do? I already checked all the wiring from the ignition and it's all good, as far as I can tell. Both the red and orange wires had no real resisitance. All the fuses are good also. I took both the rear turn signals off, if that has anything to do with it.

With the key on do you have 12 volts on the + terminals of the coils? The ignitior switches the coils on and off but the batter is hooked to the coils. Check the ground for the ignitor. The ingnitor ground is where the coils get THEIR ground from when the engine is running.

Sounds like you no longer have points. Is this correct? If you do NOT have points the problem may be the pickup coils on the crankshaft. If you have points check that they are set properly and that the condensor is not shorted.

Buy a manual and multimeter if you have not done so already.
    1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
    1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

It still has points and they are still quite nice looking and work too, as far as I can tell. They don't seem to have anything wrong with them. I'll have to check again tomorrow -- it's getting too buggy out now.

Unfortunately for me, the only manual I could find for the 78 models (chain drive) was in Canada and will take a while to get to me.

Comment

Ok, I checked the points before it started to rain on me. One of them reads a charge, the other one reads nothing, even when I turned the shaft around. As far as the coils go, one was also fine, the other one also read nothing. However, the one that read nothing was also the one connected to the dead point. Ok, where do I go from here?

P.S. I just get no ignition -- I have the oil pressure and neutral lights on.

Comment

Do you get a spark from the good coil?

Pull and plug and check, then report back
          1978 GS 1000 (since new)
          1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
          1978 GS 1000 (parts)
          1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
          1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
          1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
          2007 DRz 400S
          1999 ATK 490ES
          1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Sorry it's been so long -- it's been raining and nasty here for days.

I get no spark, no headlight, no turn-signals, no horn, nothing. All I get is the neutral and oil pressure lights.

Comment

bump

Comment

Get a voltmeter.

Look for 12 volts DC across the coil when the points close. YOu can also use a lightbulb with two wires. If the points are triggering the coils then suspect the coils. If no 12 volts, then follow the wiring back to the ignition switch and fusebox.

YOur going to probably need a wiring diagram, There are plenty of guys on the forum that have them, and your going to have to dig into the wiring a bit. I would rather work on wiring issues like this then the serious mechanical stuff because these issues are usually cheaper to fix than engine work.
                1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
                1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Working...
                X