What's with this carb?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's with this carb?

I was given a Suzuki FA50 moped type bike. The carb has three adjustments on it. One is the fuel/air mix screw, the other an idle screw, but the third one I can't figure out. At first look, it looks like just a plug in the bowl, but it is tapered like other carb adjustment screws. It controls fuel flow from the bottom of the bowl that flows out the overflow tube and up to an inlet on the side of the carb.

I've looked at the carb schematics on bikebandit.com, but none show this type of adjustment screw. They are all just plugs in the bottom of the bowl. This one is definately designed to do what I described.

Any ideas???

Terry

It could very well be a high speed jet adjustment. Meaning that you could with this screw adjust the fuel mixture for the high speed jet. It is just a guess, for I have seen them on other type carburators.

Comment

I find it strange that I can't find a drawing of this particular carb anywhere. I know it's the original carb on the bike, because it belonged to my daughter's boyfriend and he bought it new.

Thanks for the help.

Terry

Comment

Any more ideas???

Terry

Comment

I just looked at every carb schematic i could find for that carb, and they all just show a drain plug on the float bowl :?

Sorry i can't help Terry.

* EDIT*

BTW what year is it Terry?

Comment

Originally posted by wrench
            I just looked at every carb schematic i could find for that carb, and they all just show a drain plug on the float bowl :?

Sorry i can't help Terry.

* EDIT*

BTW what year is it Terry?
            I looked at all the carb schematics that I could find too, and they all just had a drain plug. This one is strange. It's a 1985 Suzuki FA50.

If I ever get my boss to let me go home, instead of traveling all the time, I'll try to take it apart and take pictures.

Terry

Comment

Terry does it look like this??

You will have to zoom in on the picture, but the float bowl has a tapered screw

Comment

The carb looks a lot like that one, but not exactly. The tapered screw on the bowl looks like that though. You're a pretty good detective!

Terry

Comment

John, what year and model is that picture?

Terry

Comment

Terry its a 1985 Suzuki DS80 ?

Comment

The bottom of that carb looks like mine, but not the top. They labeled that screw as a drain plug, but mine controls gas flow out of the overflow tube up to the side or top of the carb. This is strange.

Terry

Comment

Working...
                      X