Starting Problem!!! Please help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starting Problem!!! Please help

Just Picked up a 1982 GS850GZ Police criuser. It starts fine but after a ride if I shut it down then try to start it again, it turns slow and won't start. I checked the charging system and it is fine. The battery is fully charged as well. If I let the bike sit 10 minutes it starts right up.

The starter makes a weird whinning noise when starting, doesn't sound normal. Can it be my starter?? It has a brand new rectifier. Any help would be great..

Thanks

Police Cruiser? I saw one today dragging half of its chrome through a turn today. I thought I was hearing something being dragged behind a car until I saw the police bike bumping and wobling through a lazy right hand turn. I hope your bike can pull through the turns better than the cops around here. Atleast I found out I can outrun the cops through the twisties in 2nd gear.

Good luck with your problem, Steve

Comment

Could be the starter is overheating, but the first thing I would look at is a poor electrical ground.
      Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

police bike

Can you post a picture of your bike ?
        I have a fondness for police bikes and as I own a 79 and 82 850 I would love to see one in police form.

Comment

Most of the police bikes on the road today are H-D.....no wonder it scraped all over the road and got beat out in the twisties!!!!!!!

Comment

Where should I look for the bad ground, any particular wires??

Comment

Form the battery, the ground goes down to a bolt on the rear of the tranny housing. Easiest to reach with battery box removed and a few extensions. Bob

Comment

I've had to disassemble and clean starters and install new brushes over the years on various bikes with similiar symptoms, but as previuosly suggested, check your connections first.

Comment

I saw a GS 850 Police bike for sale on eBay a while ago. They look pretty cool!
                  GY

Comment

Thats the one I picked up. It was in New Hampshire and I drove it back to Connecticut 240 miles ran Great!! except for the starting issue

Comment

Try push starting her !!
                      If she starts, she is allright and just have somthing wrong with the starter!
                      (electrical failure)

Comment

She push starts with no problem, What do you mean by electrical failure??

Comment

Originally posted by idrum
                          She push starts with no problem, What do you mean by electrical failure??
                          He means that you can rule out mechanical failure; And you can go back to looking for bad grounds, loose connections, etc. Make sure to check those connections at the starter motor, and investing in some electrical contact cleaner wouldn't be a bad idea.

Comment

I had the same problems when I first got my 850. It was the clutch safety switch. Repair, replace or remove it.

Comment

Why is it that after it cools down for 15 minutes it starts right up. How can that relate to a Clutch relay or ground wire??

Comment

Working...
                              X