No announcement yet.

Starting Problem!!! Please help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I never had a problem with my starter on the bike (knock wood). But I’ve experienced these symptoms on the old GM’s that I’ve owned. And to fix the problem I would take the starter off and have them rebuilt at a electric motor shop. This would always fix the problem. I never really understood why it would start after cooling for a bit. :?

Roman

Comment

Originally posted by idrum
      Why is it that after it cools down for 15 minutes it starts right up. How can that relate to a Clutch relay or ground wire??
      Because, temp differences can cause erractic symptoms on electrical connections. Just the heating and cooling of connections can cause them to be less than adequate and combining that with some corrosion one could experience the condition you describe, but after cleaning and checking all the connections on the battery and starter, I would pull the starter apart for a good cleaning and possible brush replacement. Even a battery that is less than 100% can contribute to your problem.

Comment

One reason is that when things electrical heat up, the resistance in the wiring and windings of the motor gets worse. Kinda the same way that your car is hard to start in the winter, but in reverse. So when cold, less resistance, easier start, when hot, more resisitance, hard or no start.

Comment

another thought is that if there is a broken wire in there somewhere it may lay in such a way as to make contact when cool--the heat causing expansian could possibley cause the broken wire to move away a bit and then an open circuit would occur.

Comment

Working...
          X