Boiling Battery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boiling Battery

I left my battery charging overnight and in the morning it was boiling. I let it cool off and tried to start the bike and it didn't even crank. Should I throw it away? Recharge it? Any other suggestion?
    Thanks

John,

As you were charging it in the first place, I assume it wasn't too good to begin with? In any case, it sounds like you probably need to toss the thing; with all the heat you have probably warped the plates and they are touching each other, which will mean a stuffed battery.

But first, it would bee good if you could check things with another motorcycle battery borrowed off a friend, and see if the bike will crank over.

Mike.

Comment

What kind of charger did you use ??? You need to measure the voltage
      should be at least 12.6

Comment

Yeah, call the undertaker 'cause that sucker's dead. Please dispose of it properly by asking the dealer if he'll take it for recycling. Get a Battery Tender (or Yuasa's variant) next time. Once you boil the acid it's toast. If you can find a new no-fill battery all the better.

Comment

Was it boiling violently or just happily bubbling away? You can usual hear a little bit of bubbling and see the battery case get covered in bubbles. A 2 amp charger will do this overnight.

Steve

Comment

Working...
          X