fork parts question & rear shocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fork parts question & rear shocks

Anyone have access to a parts book for older bikes?

I have a GS1100G (1982) and want to modify the triple tree for less trail to make sidecar steering more managable.

I have a set of 1980 G1000E forks and triple trees and wonder if they will work on the GS1100G. IF the triple trees are the same part, I will send off the GS1000E ones as they are already out of the bike.

I am also looking for a set of rear air shocks that were used on the 1984 GS1100's. Anyone know a source for a pair in good shape?

Thanks

Ron

Many of the GS bike parts diagrams, complete with part numbers, are available for viewing on this site. You can check the parts numbers on the various bikes that you think might interchange. https://www.motorcycleshopper.com/ve...ndit_frame.htm

Comment

I seriously doubt that the part numbers of these clamps would be the same, but that doesn't mean they won't fit. To be certain I think you're going to have to remove yours and see. Regarding the shocks. The only '84 GS1100 sold was the GKE touring model and there weren't many of these sold, so it may be difficult finding an O.E. set of shocks in good shape. Have you looked into shocks from Progressive Suspension? I bet they'll give a better ride and last longer too.
      Axel

Comment

Well, you CAN find anything on EBay! I found a pair of those '84 rear air shocks and have received them. Paid $50 total with shipping so I figured I had nothing to loose. They had 40 pounds of air in each when they arrived, so I guess the seals are good. they ARE heavy!

I mounted them, which required modifying the sidecar mounts a little, and they made a huge improvement in handling.

Now I jack the bike up when the SC is loaded and soften it for lighter cruising and this is a good thing.

The rubber boots are somewhat ratty, so I'll look out for some of them - bet THAT is a hard part to find if they only used them in 1984!

Comment

find the part # for the boots and check some of the part suppliers you never know unless you check

Comment

Working...
          X