Chain suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chain suggestions

I'm going to be replacing my 1982 GS650E's OEM drive chain and sprockets, 35,000 miles.
    I had already turned around the counter shaft sprocket and now everything is ready to be replaced.

It is has a 530 O-ring chain

I'm not a racer, so I think I can go middle of the road on price / strength.

I'm looking for any suggestions on sprocket brands, chain brands and o-ring chain grades.

Thanks in advance,
    John

I ordered chain and sprockets from Dennis Kirk. I got the Parts unlimited O-ring chain, and it was around $80 and I got the JT Sprockets too. There was a few other items that I got as well. If your order is over $100 the shipping is free for two day UPS. I ordered the parts on Sunday. They were closed Sunday and Monday due to the holiday. I got the parts today. I have always had great service with Dennis Kirk.

I recieved the parts today and installed them in the bike. I'm having clutch problems right now (my clutch push rod broke when the chain took it out), so I haven't ridden the bike with the new running gear yet, but the chain looked to be of good quality.

Comment

I got a deal great deal on an RK 530XSO chain and I mail ordered a set of JT sprockets from Dennis-Kirk.

I borrowed a chain rivit tool, and riveted the connecting link.

The new chain and sprokets has eliminated an annoying click noise I had during deceleration.

Regards,
      John

Comment

Re: Chain suggestions

Originally posted by JJW
        I'm going to be replacing my 1982 GS650E's OEM drive chain and sprockets, 35,000 miles.
        I had already turned around the counter shaft sprocket and now everything is ready to be replaced.

It is has a 530 O-ring chain

I'm not a racer, so I think I can go middle of the road on price / strength.

I'm looking for any suggestions on sprocket brands, chain brands and o-ring chain grades.

Thanks in advance,
        John
        My general rule of thumb is:

The cheaper the chain, the more you will have to replace it.

I was using standard RK brand O ring chains until recently (about 10000K ago), at that point I replaced mine with an RK brand X ring chain, and used some quality lube. I have NOT adjusted it as yet in the past 110000 km.

I ride hard, either flat out or dead stopped!

PS: I replaced both sprokets at the same time.

Comment

Working...
        X