Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Carb Advice: Broken Float Pin Holder? Is It Repairable ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb Advice: Broken Float Pin Holder? Is It Repairable ??

Hello...I have a 1983 GS1100E,and i was about to give my Carbs a good spring cleaning, when i discovered that one of my float pin holders/towers was broken clean in two !! arrgghh!! (not sure correct name for this) but the broken piece is one of those two side by side things that support the float, float pin etc. Has anyone heard of a successful repair for this ?? Maybe an Epoxy, like JB Weld etc. ?? or ?? Or should i just start looking for another set of Carbs ?? Any Advice much appreciated !! Thanks. Dave.
    P.S.

Anyone out there by chance got an extra set of Carbs for my Ol' Gal ?? Maybe this would be a good excuse for me to upgrade to some GSXR Carbs ?? lol... Like i said, any feedback Much appreciated !!! Love the site Too ! Thank you.

I'd try something before shelling out but previously on a set of keihin carbs for a Honda, I eventually had to go to ebay. It wasn't that bad. It was a 550-four and the carbs ranged from $30 to $100 depending on condition. You might be able to buy some good ones at $70 and sell the old ones for $30.

Michael

Comment

Check out this post.

Comment

this happend to me, i put some grease on the pin and put it in place, put some 5 min jb weld on the broke part and let it dry. that was afew thousand miles ago. iv cleaned it twice since then and it's holding good and i can remove the pin.

Comment

A good welding shop will have no problem welding it. I had one welded myself. It shouldn't be real expensive. It will be as strong as new.

Comment

These folks claim they can make a permanent repair. http://www.motorcyclecarbs.com/

If I did the JB Weld thing I'd have to drill a hole through both pieces and put in a pin to give it better support. It's probably not necessary, but it would keep me from worrying about it all the time...

Comment

i have fixed several over the years. get the pieces clean and jb weld them together

Comment

Broken Float Post Repair: Thanks To All, for the Info !!!!!

I just wanted to say "Thank you!!" to everyone for the Great info! This Truly is an awesome site, with knowledgable awesome people! Long Live ALL the GS Suzuk's !! That includes my 83' 1100E..... Hopefully!! lol. Thanks again.
                Dave in Central Ca. !!

Comment

I gather it worked, then

Pete

Comment

Working...
                  X