Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cam chain replacement

how do you replace the cam chain. thanks

Remove engine, disassemble engine, install new cam chain, assemble engine, install engine. Take your time, be carefull not to miss anything in reassembly like I did.

Comment

I need to do the same thing on an engine I have. I was going to use a master link but I see some don't think that is such a good idea.

Do you know if it is possible to have the chain made endless once it is installed by peening over the pins?

The engine I am talking about is on the bench with the head removed. If I were to take it apart and put it back together what sort of time do you think it will take? A weekend or more?
      1982 GS1000S Katana
      1982 GS1100E

Comment

Well if you want an endless camchain installed, then the purists will say that you need to rip the whole donk apart, just to slip the new chain onto the crankshaft.

But the disadvantages are the time you will have to spend doing it, the extra expense of all the new gaskets, and the ever-present potential for stuffing up other components or the reassembly en route to installing the camchain!

Normally it is much easier just to pop the cam-cover off the engine, remove the cam shafts & camchain tensioner, break a link in the old chain, and use it to feed the new chain in as you get a mate to slowly turn the crankshaft. Then, slip in the joining link. These have either a clip, or are the sort that has the pins pened over.

Pano, as your engine is already on the bench... well, you could split the cases to pop the chain over the crank but it's still more faffing around. Just feed a new chain in -- quick, easy, and less expense. I've done 3 cam chains over the years, all have had a joining link, and not one has ever given trouble in hundreds of thousands of miles riding.

Mike.

Comment

Originally posted by tfb
          Just feed a new chain in -- quick, easy, and less expense. I've done 3 cam chains over the years, all have had a joining link, and not one has ever given trouble in hundreds of thousands of miles riding.

Mike.

Well said Mike, It may not be the "done thing: on something with very high RPM or a race bike etc, but on a street rider that isnt thrashed, then the split link is fine.

Comment

The important thing is to install the clip properly Closed end facing the direction of rotation

Comment

Working...
            X