Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie needs help identifying an engine

Hi everyone,

I tried searching, both on and off of this site, and still cannot figure out how to tell the year and exact model of my bike/engine. I have the engine code: GS1000-124923. I believe it is a 1979, but don't know if its an S, N, etc? Any help would be greatly appreciated, or at least let me know how to look it up myself. Thanks

-Zack

I have a 1982 GS850GL and a factory service manual, after the main meat of the manual there are sub sections for the different models and how what is in the main section doesn't apply, different wiring diagrams, brakes etc... For my year Bike there are like 8 different variations
    GT
    GLT
    GX/GLX
    GZ
    GLZ
    GD/GLD
    My title didn't even break it down only a GL so I compared pics and specs and found mine is a GLZ. Then I found on the home page of this website there is a section under Model Information, there you can look up all the different variations your bike has for that year, seems for 82 the GLZ and GZ was the only model 850 produced, so go figure, the others in my manual are for different years since this manual covers 1980-1983... Go to the model information on the home page and you will see the different variations under the year your bike was made...
    It is a start, also maybe you want to post a picture, maybe someone with that same bike can let you know for sure by what they see...
    Hope this helps a little...
    Good Luck

Comment

THe picture would be tough. My bike is in buckets right now. The frame is in NY, the rest in pieces spread about my apartment. On top of that, this bike was built years and years ago by a friend of mine from spare parts from many places, mostly race bike spares. The only real information I have on the motor is what I can see inside of it, which looks an awful lot like every other gs1000 internals I have seen, and the engine serial number: GS1000-124923. I was hoping that someone could help me find out what year and model the motor was based on the production number. If not, what year/model should I specift when ordering an engine gasket set? Thanks for your help.

Comment

I was in the same boat, I am restoring my 82, it was left to me by my uncle who rode for 60+ years. He was sick for a couple years and the bike sat in Florida. He passed and I got it and wanted to restore it as sentimental value. It has a Velorex side car on it. Well whoever had it before him did all kinds of things. I have parts that shouldn't fit but they do, a headlamp that is like 7 1/2 inches, and I purchased a new bucket and rim and found itis 7" so I had to sell it. I have no idea where they got a 7 1/2" bucket and rim, it isn't 82, so I understand a bike made of various components, even my frame didn't have the metla stamp of info like serial number etc..
        If you can on the steering head pipe on the right side should be the metal stamp that contains the frame serial number, that and the engine serial number should be used when ordering parts. I don't have a frame serial number so it is a guessing game.
        There is another website that you might get some info called...
        Probably the largest Suzuki motorcycle fan site in the world. Online since 2001. Thousands of pages with technical information, pictures, magazine adverts and brochure scans of most Suzuki motorbikes ever sold in different parts of the world. Thousands of bike pictures and stories posted by the readers. ALL Suzuki motorcycle models around the world have their place here!

It is every suzuki ever built, has pics and some factory info, maybe you will get lucky there otherwise maybe someone else has some helpful info for you.
        Good Luck

Comment

Another way to identify a GS1000 motor In the front of the motor on the 77-79 their is NO bolt from the cam tunnel to the head. If it has a bolt it is 80 or newer Also 80 up used the BS carbs 79 <used the slide carbs

Comment

That website will give you all the info you need, however you either need the frame serial number or the VIN number from the title... This shows where the bike was built and it breaks down the vin number so you can see if it was built in Canada, Japan etc... If you have that info this website is very good at finding the info you need, if you can get the frame serial number you will get all the answers you could want.
            Check that site out and you will see there is a world of info if you have the serial number or the VIN number.. Also like the post above, there are differences like the Carbs that is changed on the 80 models.

Comment

Thanks everybody.
              From what I see, it would appear I have a 1979 GS1000LN frame. The engine looks like the same one was used on all models in 1979 built in Canada, and the numbers fall in the proper place to be a 1979 Canadian built engine.

Comment

Originally posted by bucketsofgs1000
                Thanks everybody.
                From what I see, it would appear I have a 1979 GS1000LN frame. The engine looks like the same one was used on all models in 1979 built in Canada, and the numbers fall in the proper place to be a 1979 Canadian built engine.
                Built in Canada? That's a new one on me! I thought they were all built in Japan!
                Kevin
                E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
                "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
                Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

Working...
                X