GS1000L stator question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1000L stator question

I bought a used rectifier from a gs500 because my other one was bad. I started the bike and the main fuse blew. I then replaced the fuse and started the bike. Everything seemed fine, except now the stator is not putting out 60VAC on one of the legs. It was working before. Is it possible that I blew up my stator? I checked the stator before using the stator papers and it was charging fine on all three legs.

Thanks,
    Joel

It is possible that you blew the stator. Could you have hooked it up wrong??? Did you have the stator cove off I pinched a wire on mine one time when I reassembled it. Recheck your wires Othwerwise your replacement rect was bad

Comment

After posting, I looked the bike over some more. It appears that my bike originally had a seperate rectifier and regulator. The new one I bought was a combined r/r. I had the new r/r connected as well as the regulator from before. I've now removed the old regulator and the voltage will go up to about 12.5 when I rev the motor. Shouldn't it be more like 13.5v?

Comment

What you need to do is start over with the stator papers, recheck the stator and the regulator. I'm guessing the replacement reg is now bad
        When everything is working it should go up to 14 VDC

Comment

I checked the stator yesterday. It was putting out 60+VAC on all three legs. I'll go and recheck the r/r tonight and see. Hopefully I didn't fry it.

Thanks,
          Joel

Comment

I went back through the stator papers tonight. Everything seems to be as stated in the papers. The only difference is that the voltage doesn't seem to be as high. At 2500rpm with the headlight on it is around 13 volts. With the headlight off it is between 13.25 and 13.5 volts. So I will just run it at this point and see what happens.

Thanks,
            Joel

Comment

It should be 14.5 to 14.8V

Earl

Originally posted by tulsaokjoel
              After posting, I looked the bike over some more. It appears that my bike originally had a seperate rectifier and regulator. The new one I bought was a combined r/r. I had the new r/r connected as well as the regulator from before. I've now removed the old regulator and the voltage will go up to about 12.5 when I rev the motor. Shouldn't it be more like 13.5v?
              Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

That human beings can not bear too much reality, explains so much.

Comment

Run an extra ground wire from the reg mounting bolt to the (-) battery terminal, can make a difference

Comment

Working...
                X