Piston interchage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Piston interchage

Anyone know if pistons for an 83 1100E can be used in a 82 1100E? The part numbers are different (12111-49402 and 12111-49400). There is a set on E-Bay for an 83 and I was wondering if there was any "actual" difference.

HAP WILL KNOW FOR SURE BUT MY GUESS IS AS LONG AS ITS AN e MODEL 1981 TO 1983 AND AN 1100 THEY WILL FIT--i WAS WONDERING WHY YOU NEEDED NEW PISTONS BECAUSE THE ONES THAT ARE ON EBAY ARE STANDARD SIZE AND IF YOU ONLY HONE YOUR BLOCK-PROVIDED THATS ALL IT NEEDS, THE RING JOB WONT LAST LONG

Comment

Haven't taken it down yet, but I was concerned about scoring on the pistons. The bike wasn't that well taken care of before I got it. Figured if I got them cheap enough and needed them great, otherwise I could turn around and sell them and not take a loss.

You say the ring job won't last long. How much less use would you get from just honing and installing new rings as opposed to boring and installing oversized pistons (in general) or did you mean that putting new pistons in a block thats only been honed would cause the rings last a shorter time?
      Sorry for the confusion (on my part).

Comment

Originally posted by pjackson
        Haven't taken it down yet, but I was concerned about scoring on the pistons. The bike wasn't that well taken care of before I got it. Figured if I got them cheap enough and needed them great, otherwise I could turn around and sell them and not take a loss.

You say the ring job won't last long. How much less use would you get from just honing and installing new rings as opposed to boring and installing oversized pistons (in general) or did you mean that putting new pistons in a block thats only been honed would cause the rings last a shorter time?
        Sorry for the confusion (on my part).
        I got a little over 2000 miles out of a hone and ring job now im running an overbore and pistons and and i suspect i will get the same amount of miles out of the rings that i would get if the engine was new.

Comment

Hmmm...
          Considering the work and time involved, honing and new rings doesn't look very economical.
          Only 2000 miles huh? Whew.

Think I better think it out again.

Thanks

Comment

Pistons are same dimensionally and should fit fine. Part number may have changed because of a some slight design improvement.
            If your cylinder measures within all allowable tolerances and is honed properly, there is no reason a new set of rings shouldn't last a long time. If the bore is worn oval or has deep scratches, forget it, time for an overbore. I suggest taking the cylinder to someone who specializes in engine building rather than a dealership who does basic maintence and warranty work. Check out Bore Tech near Cincinnati, R.E.S. in Texas or Vance & Hines in Calif.
            Axel

Comment

Working...
            X