1982 GS500E

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1982 GS500E

I am in the UK and have a 1982 GS500E. Can anyone tell me if they have one, as I have not managed to find anyone since buying it 6 weeks ago! It ran fine to start with, but now have electrical failure even though battery appears OK - any ideas?!

Could you elaborate a little more? What do you mean electrical faliure, no spark at the plugs? no running lights, turn signals etc...
    What is happening exactly, did you do anything, replace any part, move wires etc.., anything at all and now there is a problem or did it just start on it's own.
    If you can get us more info maybe someone besides myself will be able to help. Give as much info as possible, something that doesn't seem relevant could be important...

Comment

GS500E Electrical Fault

On my 1982 GS500E, I keep blowing the top fuse in the bank of four that sit behind the right-hand cowl, which takes out the ignition. I can put a new fuse in, turn on the ignition, indicators, lights, horn etc and they all work fine. I can start the engine OK, but as soon as I kill the engine, either with the key or using the engine kill button, you can watch the fuse just pop! I have changed the starter relay and the fuse holder so far, but fault is the same - could it be a short somewhere or would this blow the fuse right away?

MrT.

Comment

I dont have a wiring print for the 550 so I can't be of much help. I would try and isolate everything on that circuit that the fuse powers and start disconnecting each one, one by one, unplug connectors one at a time till the fuse stops blowing that way you will isolate what is causing it. Without the print I don't have a clue what is on that circuit, maybe someone else has that print and can tell you what is all on that circuit.
        Make sure you have the right amp fuse in the holder, usually the ignition is 15 amps while the rest of the circuits are 10 amps.
        Something is shorted to ground possibly an internal fault in a relay.
        Sorry can't be more help.

Comment

Working...
        X