Is there a 6th gear anywhere?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there a 6th gear anywhere?

I've got a 1982 GS750t and use it for long highway trips quite a bit. I gennerally travel a tad below 80mph on the major highways when it's not crouded. This puts me at about 6000-7000 rpms for hours at a time and there is a whole lot of power when I turn the throttle. I noticed that my gear indicator goes up to 6th but no matter how hard I try I don't seem to have one

Questions are:

Would dropping the rpm's down a little increase the fuel economy?

if so- what's the best way?

How many teeth can I go down on the rear sprocket?

OR

Is there some kinda upgrade/mod transmission I could find that might give me another gear?

Re: Is there a 6th gear anywhere?

Originally posted by crrazychicken
    I've got a 1982 GS750t and use it for long highway trips quite a bit. I gennerally travel a tad below 80mph on the major highways when it's not crouded. This puts me at about 6000-7000 rpms for hours at a time and there is a whole lot of power when I turn the throttle. I noticed that my gear indicator goes up to 6th but no matter how hard I try I don't seem to have one

Questions are:

Would dropping the rpm's down a little increase the fuel economy?

if so- what's the best way?

How many teeth can I go down on the rear sprocket?

OR

Is there some kinda upgrade/mod transmission I could find that might give me another gear?
    Not a 6th gear on 750's. 550's have 6 gears and the thought crossed my mind of trying for a retrofit. GSXR 750s have 6 gears, possible retro ????????? Dropping RPM's may improve your economy slightly, but too many variables to say for sure. Dropping 2-3 teeth on the rear would help some with the RPM's and not hurt your acceleration too bad.

Comment

One these should help in determining the reduction in RPM you would see with changing the number of sprocket teeth -

Find your domain name at HugeDomains. Start using this domain right away.

Comment

The L.E.D. gear indicator on my old '82 GS1100 used to read 8 when the rpms were up.
        I dropped 3 teeth on the rear sprocket of my Bandit 1200 which helped smooth things out at freeway speeds. Pulling away from lights did require a slight bit more clutch slipping, but it was well worth the trade off.
        Axel

Comment

Working...
        X