afew rectifier Q's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

afew rectifier Q's

im not having any charging issue yet on my 1100ed, iv read that the R/R is the cause of the baked stators, correct? iv also read that a honda rectifier will fit my bike with little mods. what model honda should i get a rectifier from? id like to replace this part before it costs me some cash in a new stator.

thanks.

hold yer fire! i did a search and didnt find the answer i was looking for.

anyone?

Comment

I've heard/read more about the 3rd phase of the altornator frying stators because it's not R/R'd. But I've also learned (through the site) that later GS bikes (like mine) "rectified" the problem, if you will, and got 3rd phase back into the RR. Check your bike's wiring diagram to see what it looks like. Mine has a W/G wire going from the alternator while the others go to the RR. Then, about half-way up the bike, the W/G loops back into a W/R wire which goes straight to the RR. As is, it has about 4 connectors to go through, so I cut out the loop and connected W/G from the alternator directly to W/R going to the RR.

Haven't had a chance to see if it works since I have been rebuilding the front end since then, but I think it should all be fine.

On the Honda RRs, do a search under "Alternator questions" or "Stator" as there were some recent discussions that posted some of the Honda RRs that work.

Good luck

Comment

Pictures show where to connect the wires. Use a CX500 or CM 400/450 regulators, they are a good fit. you need to add a longer red wire adn a longer black wire.

Crimp terminals onto the wires to mate to your suzuki wires.

You will be very happy with the performance and solve the weakest link in a GS
        1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
        1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

I have a CX500 R/R that I got last year to do this mod but then decided against it. I'll sell it to you for US$20+$5 shipping.

Comment

I did the Honda reg/rec conversion years ago to my 750. It even bolts up to pre-threaded holes on the bottom of the battery box!
            Kevin
            E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
            "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
            Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

Working...
            X