Transmission - Is this normal? 1979 750L

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Transmission - Is this normal? 1979 750L

My bike seems to be running normally, but I want to ask this to ease my thoughts. Is it normal to be running at 3500-4000 RPMs in 5th gear at 55 MPH? The bike doesn't struggle at all, but that seemed a little high.

depending on your model & gearing, they range anywhere from 3k to 6k cruise mode.

you not gonna hurt it.

Comment

That seems noticeably high to me. My 750 turns I think about 4k at 65 mph. Make sure your clutch isn't slipping, but it's probably your gearing, which you can change pretty easily. Although it won't hurt the engine the way it is, you'll get better mileage if you change it, and the 750 is reasonably torquey at low revs so you won't really hurt rideability, and the engine will be more relaxed at highway speeds.

Comment

these speedometers and tachs are not always accurate!

Comment

That's what I am hoping Frenzy. I have been having tach trouble since I got the bike. I am going to swap the cable and see if it gets any better. I am not really worried about engine speed, but I am trying to decide if I can take the bike from here in the Chicago southland down to Atlanta and I want to take care of any problems before the 800 mile road trip.

Comment

Originally posted by focus frenzy
            Ohhh I possibility I didn't consider! That would be easy, and even likely. The cable could be suspect, I even had to go into the tach itself on mine and free it up it was so sluggish.

Comment

Originally posted by Hotblack
              Ohhh I possibility I didn't consider! That would be easy, and even likely. The cable could be suspect, I even had to go into the tach itself on mine and free it up it was so sluggish.

And doesn't the "L model have a 16" rear wheel?
              Not a 17"?
              Keith
              -------------------------------------------
              1980 GS1000S, blue and white
              2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

I think in '79 they still had the same wheels. I know my 550L and 750 both have the same size wheels.

Comment

Fact not Fiction, they are 99% inaccurate 8)

Comment

Working...
                  X