New problem with 85 GS450L

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New problem with 85 GS450L

Was going to fine tune today, was sitting on bike with it running and put my hands behind exhaust pipes and left side was cool , right side real warm. Thought maybe a bad plug. Switched plugs, same thing. Right side hot left side cold. I can grag exhaust header at motor and luke warm. Cant touch right side as it would burn me bad,. Lots of spark on left as is right.. Help

carbs

I had it running, pulled the right side plug wire, and the motor quit.

put wire back on, started motor, pulled left plug wire , kept running but i could feel and see the spark when testing. Im thinking its back to the cleaning the left side carb again..

Comment

Are you getting spark to the non-firing cyl? Pull the plug, ground the end with the gap to the engine, attach the plug wire, and let 'er run for a bit (actually I think you can pull the wire on the other plug so it doesn't run but still should spark while you try to crank it over - either would work). Should see spark. If not you have iginition issues, otherwise, if you are getting spark, it could be fuel/air related or you are not getting strong enough sparking.

I think that'd be the next bit of info that would let the real pros here help you out.

Comment

I had a similar problem just the other day... mine was due to the idle/sync adjustment. It sounds like your right cylinder (main) is adjusted good (main idle screw) but maybe the sync screw is way off cutting the airflow to the left (secondary) cylinder? If you have good spark and your carbs are clean it could be the problem.

Comment

clogged jet

Main jet clogged on left side carb. Something must have broke off somewhere and made its way into it. Will throw on today and see if that was the problem..

Comment

problem solved

It was a pc of dirt i missed that clogged the main jet on the left side. This baby now purrrrrrsssssss like a kitten.. Runs real well.. Thanks all

Comment

better now

Installed a fuel filter inline and changed all the hoses , now it runs great. Thanks for all the help

Comment

Working...
              X