mercury sync tool went sluuurp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mercury sync tool went sluuurp

Gotta admit, I'm a newbie, and I must have done something wrong - while doing a carb sync, it slurped all the mercury out of the sync tool

I first started the bike to let it warm up. I also adjusted the idle to 3000 to get it ready for the sync

I then shut the engine, hooked up the tool (all cyl), and started it again.

Then it went all wrong, the mercury went into one of the ports for some weird reason. Am I missing something? Are the carbs so far out of sync causing the mercury to overflow? Please don't laugh, I'm still learning

Did it get sucked into to engine?
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

You might want to consider getting a Carbtune. OK, the cost is higher, but they are sooooo much better and quicker to use. It would even be worth seeing if you could share the cost with some friends.

Comment

Yeah, that's when I shut the engine off and held my breath

Originally posted by Jethro
        Did it get sucked into to engine?

Comment

If it's still in your combustion chamber you may want to pull you plugs out ,squirt a little bit of oil in there,wear gloves & a mask.
          Get the bike out side where it's safe( no people ) start the bike , and get the hell away from the exaust.Let it run for a few min's.
          Change the oil and filter,you should be OK!

Comment

Thanks paul, good suggestions, I'll do that.

Can anyone provide any insight why it "aspired" the mercury? Did I miss a step?

Originally posted by gspaul
            If it's still in your combustion chamber you may want to pull you plugs out ,squirt a little bit of oil in there,wear gloves & a mask.
            Get the bike out side where it's safe( no people ) start the bike , and get the hell away from the exaust.Let it run for a few min's.
            Change the oil and filter,you should be OK!

Comment

I have not seen this before,I would contact the vendor, could be a faulty unit.
              Go through the instruction's again, nothing you could have done when you set up.
              I allway's used vacumn gauges,less toxic.
              Don't leave that stuff in your motor to long,OK.

Comment

That happened to me. It turned out to be a tiny crack in one of the tubes that allowed it to happen. Unfortunately I was in my garage and breathing the crap after it happened because I was fiddling with the Idle screw instead of watching the guages. If you inhale it, it can give you symptoms like asthma for several months.

Comment

The one I have (not a carbtune) says not to rev the motor too high or it WILL suck the mercury into the engine. Instructions on mine say to run the motor for at least 30 minutes to blow out the residue in a WELL VENTILATED AREA. Like, out-frickin-side!!!

Good luck. Be careful with mercury. It's really bad stuff.

Comment

Some info from http://www.calpoison.org/public/mercury.html, the California Poison Control System:

After a large, one-time inhalation exposure of mercury vapor, the lungs are the main target of mercury poisoning, although other symptoms develop as well. Symptoms may develop within a few hours and include chills, metallic taste, mouth sores, swollen gums, nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, diarrhea, headache, weakness, confusion, shortness of breath, cough, chest tightness, bronchitis, pneumonia and kidney damage.

Consult your physician IMMEDIATELY if you think you've inhaled mercury.
                    Mercury poisoning can lead to long term health issues.

Comment

Re: mercury sync tool went sluuurp

Yes, if your vacuum levels were high enough to pull the mercury out of the synch tool, then your carbs are so far out of synch we would need to measure the discrepancy in light years. :-) :-) :-)

Earl

Originally posted by volks28
                      Then it went all wrong, the mercury went into one of the ports for some weird reason. Am I missing something? Are the carbs so far out of sync causing the mercury to overflow? Please don't laugh, I'm still learning
                      Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Earl,

I really appreciate your input (and chuckle!)

If I understand it correctly, if my carbs were so much out of sync, the engine wouldn't even idle, right?

Originally posted by earlfor
                        Yes, if your vacuum levels were high enough to pull the mercury out of the synch tool, then your carbs are so far out of synch we would need to measure the discrepancy in light years. :-) :-) :-)

Earl

Comment

Ah my old friend mercury. I am a mechanical engineer in the environmental field. In the olden days, furriers that made fur hats used mercury to treat the fur. Long term exposure causes nerve and brain damage, hence the term Mad Hatter's Disease. Yes that's where the character Alice met got his name.

Comment

Originally posted by volks28
                            I also adjusted the idle to 3000 to get it ready for the sync
                            I thought the sync should be done at idle speed - 1000-1200 RPM - 1500 at most. With a small blip of the throttle after making a change to one. I thought I read a specific warning somewhere not to rev it past 3500 RPM due to the possibility of sucking the mercury into the engine.

Comment

Originally posted by vstan905
                              Ah my old friend mercury. I am a mechanical engineer in the environmental field. In the olden days, furriers that made fur hats used mercury to treat the fur. Long term exposure causes nerve and brain damage, hence the term Mad Hatter's Disease. Yes that's where the character Alice met got his name.
                              I used to live in Danbury, CT, a big hatting city back in the day. Guess what out highschool mascot was? Wern't no rabbit...

The lifelong downtown residents seemed to be a little stranger than most too....something in the water.

Mac

Comment

Working...
                              X