Piston Rings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Piston Rings

I'm working on my 1981 GS1000L and got a surprise at the dealer when I asked for prices on ring sets. What I would like is info on other sources for rings that fit stock pistons. I don't need oversize rings just the standard bore. Thanks ahead of time. P.S. does anybody know where to get carb kits that have all the jets and stuff.

Not sure about the source for rings but as far as the jet kits go, You can get your dealer to order them and pay a premium or try just about any mail order house like www.denniskirk.com and save a few pennies.

Comment

These folks may be able to help, http://www.totalseal.com/. I have a set of unused Cosworth pistons I spent years trying to find rings for. I contacted Total Seal thinking there is no way they will be able to help. Ed Law, the manager, told me to send the pistons out and he would see what they could do. They ended up recutting the top two grooves and supplied a set of their Gapless rings for about $180. A bargain considering the machine work. These rings are pretty trick, read about them on their site.

Comment

I am not sure if motorcycle rings differ from automobile rings any, but when i was looking for rings for an antique tractor i was fixing up, i took a piston and an old ring to one of the older engine rebuilding shops in town and he cross referenced a set of rings from the measurements. It turned out they were a pretty standard size and cheap.

Comment

I got a set of rings for an 1100G from www.ronayersmotorsports.com for around $100, your not gonna do much better than that.

bill

Comment

Hmmm Billy, I gotta ask. :-) Since you must compress the rings to install a piston in a cylinder, it seems to me it would be nearly impossible to install a gapless ring. Would you elaborate on this?
            Earl

Originally posted by Billy Ricks
            They ended up recutting the top two grooves and supplied a set of their Gapless rings for about $180. A bargain considering the machine work. These rings are pretty trick, read about them on their site.
            Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

That human beings can not bear too much reality, explains so much.

Comment

It seems that there are two rings in the same groove. Is this correct? That is the impression i get from the website and the pictures.

Comment

It seems that there are two rings in the same groove. Is this correct? That is the impression i get from the website and the pictures.
                Hmmm Billy, I gotta ask. Since you must compress the rings to install a piston in a cylinder, it seems to me it would be nearly impossible to install a gapless ring. Would you elaborate on this?
                Earl
                It is two seperate rings in the second groove. You turn the gaps 180 degrees away from each other. Compression gasses and momentum keep the rings pressed against each other eliminating blow by through ring gaps.

Comment

And they work very well.......

Comment

Ahhh Ha, who said an old dog cant learn a new trick? :-) Thanks
                    Billy.
                    Earl

Originally posted by Billy Ricks
                    It is two seperate rings in the second groove. You turn the gaps 180 degrees away from each other. Compression gasses and momentum keep the rings pressed against each other eliminating blow by through ring gaps.
                    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

That human beings can not bear too much reality, explains so much.

Comment

Working...
                    X