Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 GS450 - VIN and model info

Hi everyone,

Well, 3 days ago I purchased a 1980 GS450 as my first bike ever! I have to say I'm way excited to get on the road. However, I'm missing the side covers for my bike and to get new ones I need to know what model it is. It has the stepped seat people have been mentioning, and the long, curvy handlebars. Do these features denote an L model? Otherwise, I'm not sure what I have and the dealer hasn't been much help. In addition, the VIN code I have is only 11 digits and many sites (as well as people) tell me it should be 17 digits. What gives? I'll try to post a pic if necessary, but I'll have to secure a digital camera first.

Thanks for the help!

EDIT: Ok, after looking at some pictures in the gallery, I'm about 99% sure I have the L model. I'm still curious about the short VIN, though. Any info?

Post your numbers and the state it's regestered in and I will run it on the police computer to see exact which model it is.

Comment

There should be a frame ID plate on the right hand side of the steering head with all that info, year it was mfg, model etc... Try looking there if it hasn't been removed like it has on mine...

Comment

Both our (1980) 450's have 11 digit VINs and no indication of the model type on the plate or VIN etching on the frame.

Comment

Try this website http://www.suzukicycles.org/All-Suzu...ki_models.html

It has info on every Suzuki ever built and that link is to the VIN Identification page, it breaks down the VIN # into catagories, tells you where your bike was built, etc... Check it out and maybe you will find more useful information there.
          I went to check mine and the first 11 letters or numbers dictate the bike model etc... the last 6 digits make up the bikes serial number.
          From the look of your bike the VIN number should be something like
          JS1GK7***A2

That website I posted will tell you what each letter and number means for instance the J is Japan S - Suzuki 1- Motorcycle G-Multiple Cylinder Sport Street K - 250-399cc 7- 4 stroke, etc... the first 11 digits are the VIN number minus the serial number which is 6 digits..

Comment

Odd.. could be different.... my VINs both begin as GS450xxxxxx. I haven't had any issues getting them registered or insured using those numbers. I wouldn't sweat it until someone cries about.

Comment

Originally posted by feelergaugephil
              Post your numbers and the state it's regestered in and I will run it on the police computer to see exact which model it is.
              The VIN as it sits on the title is GS4J0706455. It's registered in MN. I tried checking on the all suzuki models page, but it doesn't seem to line up right with the numbers. Strange...

Comment

Working...
              X