clutch lever broke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

clutch lever broke

i have the worst luck, just fixed the sputtering problem and this happens, park the bikes side ways on a hill and the foot stand slips and it falls. not too much happened but the *@%^$*@%^$*@%^$*@%^$ty clutch lever snapped off. this is my main mode of transportation so i was wondering i could just cement it on until i can get a new one? whats the strongest glue around that would stick to that type of material, its not metal , its some kind of porous alloy.

When I broke my clutch lever I cut a piece of 1/2 in. metal tube{the kind used for elect wiring}put it on what was left and crimped it tight with vise grips.It is still ok and I will use if I break lever again.You could drill a 1/8 in. hole through pipe and lever and bolt it also.

Comment

so you have vice grips forever attached to ur bike?

Comment

I just bought a clutch and brake lever from Dennis Kirk as spares in case of just such a mishap. $3.99 each. Don't try to fix the old one (it should be aluminum) with glue of any kind. Buy new one(s). I don't go far without spare levers, 'cause bad things happen and I hate paying outrageous dealer prices (or pushing the bike home) when I'm on the road.

Comment

Don't even think about glueing it!

Pattern clutch levers are very cheap and they won't snap off - no glue is going to hold a clutch lever together.

Note that a replacement lever may not have the cut-out / holes to attach the starter cut-out switch on your original lever so you may not be able to refit that. The cut-out switch is plugged into the loom inside the headlamp shell. Just trace the wires, unplug them and you should find you're left with one male and one female connector inside the headlamp. Just plug the two together and you have bypassed the cut-out.

Save the old switch and be careful taking it off the broken lever 'cos it's easy to lose the tiny spring and contact.

Comment

Working...
          X