help gs 1000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

help gs 1000

i just put new rings and valve seals in a 78 gs1000 that has been siting for about 5 years but i cant get the carbs set right and it has bad blow by out of the oil fill . any ideals? i have the top end off another gs 1000 but i hope that i don't have to us it

Excessive blowby is almost always a sign of poor cylinder sealing. Have you been able to run the engine long enough to seat the new rings? Have you checked the compression?
    Were the carbs cleaned before you tried to set them?

Terry

Comment

Did you hone the cylinders?
      How many miles on the bike?
      What were the measurements?
      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
      2007 DRz 400S
      1999 ATK 490ES
      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

yeah i honed the cylenders. and cleaned the carbs i put new float needle and seat in them. i road the bike about 60 miles.

Comment

It's hard to know whether the rings haven't seated or there's too much clearance.

Ride it some more, accelerating and decellerating as noted in the other post "breaking it in". That will seat the rings
          1978 GS 1000 (since new)
          1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
          1978 GS 1000 (parts)
          1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
          1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
          1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
          2007 DRz 400S
          1999 ATK 490ES
          1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Did you change the oil? Is the level correct?

Comment

the oil is in the safe zone. ill try to ride it some more but the carbs are out of ajustment i'll have to mess with them and see if i can get them right. thanks for the help i'll let you know how things turn out

Comment

Did you change the oil? It could be mostly gas after sitting 5 years (dripping past the petcock, into the cylinders and past the rings). Gassy oil will cause blow-by.

Comment

yeah i put new oil in when i put thee rings in . but i am having carb trouble and they were over flowing so there may be some gas in the oil from that i think i'll change the oil just to be sure thanks. for the ideal Don. i may get this bike running right some day. just found a pin hole in the gas tank so i'll have to fix it or get another tank.

Comment

Working...
                  X