Bandit engine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bandit engine?

Last night I went out to ride with the superbikes and to my no so much of a suprise found in varying states of destruction a number of bikes that have bitten the dust in the last month, including CBR"s, a busa, duc and a lone Bandit 1200 that is totally dead, but the engine and box are complete.

I can buy the engine complete, sin carbs for $350 and wondered if it would swap into my GS1000 frame without too much effort.. I didnt do much comparison work, but the the final drive sprocket is at least on the same side..

Seems like i could just hack and weld the frame to make it fit, but wanted some feedback first..

CJ

the guys at www.oldskoolsuzuki.info can help you

Comment

Yabbut, Why?

I mean you've got a good running classic there, Why not buy the B12 engine and find a suitable late model Katana to put it in! Talk about your sleeper :twisted: Roll up next to that R1 on your little Katana 600 and then lay down some whupass.... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Comment

Originally posted by HiSPL
        Yabbut, Why?

I mean you've got a good running classic there, Why not buy the B12 engine and find a suitable late model Katana to put it in! Talk about your sleeper :twisted: Roll up next to that R1 on your little Katana 600 and then lay down some whupass.... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
        Is it even remotely possible to fit that much engine into a kat 600?

...because that is a good idea :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Comment

Old school suzuki have on there site the engine mount drawings to put a GSXR/Bandit in a GS frame on there site
          you can get a Busa engine in a GSXR600, if you have the know how anything is possible and deep pockets

Comment

The Katana 600/750 and the bandit/early Gsxr motors run the same crank case

Comment

Originally posted by sagent
              Yabbut, Why?

Is it even remotely possible to fit that much engine into a kat 600?

...because that is a good idea :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
              in 1988 they put a GSXR1100 motor in a Katana 600, been done, not a stiiaght swap, but is doable.

also the busa to 600 has been done as mentioned.

anything is doable, just figure alot of your own time and cash doing something as such.

good luck!

ROn

Comment

Yabbut, Why?

No offence to Kat owners, but the style is not for me. I already beat R1's into submission once the road turns twisty (probably due to the idiotic 100mph first gear) It just looks fairly similar and the extra cc's and newness have appeal.. Perhaps money better spent would be in dina ignition throughout...

CJ

Comment

Originally posted by crayonjota
                  Yabbut, Why?

No offence to Kat owners, but the style is not for me. I already beat R1's into submission once the road turns twisty (probably due to the idiotic 100mph first gear) It just looks fairly similar and the extra cc's and newness have appeal.. Perhaps money better spent would be in dina ignition throughout...

CJ
                  Mine is a '95 two years before they became fugly. I actually really like teh styling of those year Kats. Mine has the squareish headlamp not the bugeyes of the new ones and the more angular bodywork. I definately don't have the money nor the experience to do any engine swapping right now ( I do have a gs to rebuild) but If i ever find a good deal on a larger displacement I wouldn't mind making a bit of a sleeper :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Comment

The B12 engine will go in a treat. The only mounts that you will have to make are the upper ones at the back of the engine. The rest will fit. Lots of power, smaller width and all parts available off the shelf. DO IT, it's little money for an engine like this. But ofcourse have the carbs, electrics etc. also. I'd change everything incl. the switchgear etc.

Marco.

Comment

Originally posted by marcovandevelde
                      The B12 engine will go in a treat. The only mounts that you will have to make are the upper ones at the back of the engine. The rest will fit. Lots of power, smaller width and all parts available off the shelf. DO IT, it's little money for an engine like this. But ofcourse have the carbs, electrics etc. also. I'd change everything incl. the switchgear etc.

Marco.
                      Still thinking about this one as all that is there is the engine, no electrics or switchgear, and parts of the shelf? You must be joking! I beleive that for either bike all I can buy off the shelf is cleaners and oils...............

CJ

Comment

No, not joking about the spares. I've recently found out that a selection of parts that go into the GS(X)1100s carbs aren't available anymore. That's (besides the power gain) why so many people switch to GSXR items. You are in trouble when a dealer has to get parts from Japan, will take at least 6 weeks. ''Off the shelf'' means available within 2 days from the Suzuki warehouse in your country. B12's are plentiful. They're easier to maintain/rebuild as they don't have the roller bearings that the GS/GSXs have. They have many parts interchangable with the oil-cooled GSXR11, like the electrics. Check oldskoolsuzuki.info to see what will fit your engine.

Greetz, Marco.

Comment

There is only one Suzuki dealer in the country and he sells ATV's, outboards and pizza delivery bikes. I went in yesterday to get fork oil and was told, "all we have is 20W50!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CJ

Comment

Ah yes, I see... You live in Panama. Quite a different story then about the spares. Still I think I'd get a more modern engine when I were you.

Good luck!

Marco.

Comment

Working...
                            X