1980 gs1000g

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 gs1000g

Howdy. I am currently negotiating a deal to get this bike (37k mi.) and an '86 Honda Rebel (400 mi.) for about 1000 bucks. Both look real nice but have carb/fuel issues. My question is, how rare are the 1000g's? Would it be a good investment? I'm thinking I can resell the Rebel and make enough from it to pay for the whole deal, plus whatever it takes to get them running.

Appreciate your time.

Rick

Not as many 1000Gs as there are 1100G or 850Gs. I cant really say about how compatable the parts are.

I was looking at Honda Rebels a couple years ago. Seemed like they held thier value perrty well. Were advertiused for $1500 or more for a 10 to 12 year old 250. Was a couple years of 400, those were even more. I got a 86 Shadow 500 for same price.
    http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
    Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

Hi Redman. I would be getting it to restore. I was hoping to get 1500 or more out of the Rebel, if it truely only has 400 miles and is in great condition. My wife would kill me, so I have to factor that in. She and my 2 youngin's are on vacation for 2 months. My alibi can be that I was delirious from missing them sooo much....

Rick

Comment

many 1000g parts are exchangeable with parts off 80 and 81 850g's.

good bike...buy it.

Comment

If you are getting the 1000G to restore and keep you're making a great choice. The engines on all our GS's are considered "bulletproof," and I suspect you'll have little trouble obtaining parts to complete your restore.

Enjoy,
          Steve 8)

Comment

Thanks. I still haven't decided. The seller has sent me a boatload of pictures. I'm not quite sure how to post them or atleast put them where a link can point to them.

Rick

Comment

This is free and easy place to host your photos. http://photobucket.com/

Comment

Thanks Rock. I'll see if I can figure it out.

Rick

Comment

Well, here are some pictures, hopefully....

Thanks Rock

Rick

Comment

Wow! It's a Dead Ringer for my 80 GS850G. From the Pics it looks like the Seat is it's biggest Cosmetic Issue. I really like mine, very stable and dependable on the road and I like the low maintenance of Shaft Drive. Don't let the Chain Gang here on the GSR influence you!
                    sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
                    2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

like i said previously on this thread, the 1000g and the 850g in 80 and 81 interchange many parts.

both are great bikes.

this one looks pretty good, so go get it.

Comment

rpickle, run, don't walk and grab this bike. Stuff like the exhaust, fenders, seat aren't easy to find anymore and by the looks of this one it's been fairly well kept - seatcover not withstanding. That should be easy to replace. The GS1000G was essentially a GS850 with the 1000 top end according to a couple of road tests of the day, and the chassis and drivetrain are as reliable as the engine. Don't worry too much about carb set-ups, etc. there are lots of parts still available for these carbs.and a ton of good tuning and set-up advice right here. Finding a correct aircleaner may be a problem, but somehow I expect some reader will have a source. I rescued my 850 ten years ago with 68000 kms on it. A set of rings, brake pads, carb overhaul, and other consumables was all it needed and it's still running fine. Zero service needed to the driveline. Enjoy!!

Comment

Do I have this right? You are getting this 1000 AND a Honda Rebel both for $1000 total? And you are asking if that is a good deal?

You can get the replacement seatcover from JC Whitney for around $60.00.
                          Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Comment

Originally posted by dodger1
                            Finding a correct aircleaner may be a problem, but somehow I expect some reader will have a source.
                            the air cleaners for an 80 850g and a 1000g are exactly the same part number.

Comment

This rebel was sold in less than 2 days

at $2,500

That would pay for the GS and all necessary repairs
                              1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                              1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                              1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                              1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                              1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                              1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                              2007 DRz 400S
                              1999 ATK 490ES
                              1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Working...
                              X