High Milage - what is it -

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

High Milage - what is it -

Cars and Bikes are diffrent. We know that. I'd like your opinions of what makes for a high-milage bike, ie, how many miles, and why?

for example, I've heard that a 40k bike is very high milage, that the cam chain can be on its way out, etc.etc. Is this true?

Why the shorter milage span for bikes than cars?

(My dad's Volvo just toped 280,000, still runnin fine).

Thanks.

Alot of the bikes out there are running with less technology than most cars that run super efficient.

Also most bikes are run harder than cars. Higher RPM's are hit more often than in a car. More stress=Less Life

Comment

I think some of it has to do with the fact that cars operate at around 800 to 5000 RPM and bikes go all the way up to 11,000 RPM. Also there are differences in design, rarely does a car have 4 valves per cylinder, but bikes do all the time. Also what was the last new car that you saw with valves that were adjusted using shims? Bikes are made to get more power out of a small space, and certain things (like vehicle life) are compromised.

Also a number of bikes do not last long due to simple neglect!

Comment

I have almost 65K on my gs and the cam chain still has a few thousand miles left on it--the rings may go at 40 k but lots of guys never have trouble with them because the have an excellent maintenance schedule--If you ar a normal rider ill bet the roller bottom ends will go 150K and even more with reasonable care

Comment

Another variable is that we are talking about air cooled engines that run much hotter than a car engine, 100K is possoble with reasonable maintenance and care

Comment

i agree with Scotty. like a car that is well maintained, a bike with 50K or more, provided it is taken care of and well maintained, is the same as a car with 150K. If the compression/leakdown is good, and doesn't sound like it is going to grenade or uses little or no oil, Mileage should not be a concern. kinda like buying a used car, usually if you open the hood, and theres a ton of grease in it, not clean, or looks like its been through hell and back, your first tempation is to just walk away. One reason people say bikes go for less mileage than a car is because most bikes are air-cooled, and therefore run hotter than water cooling. more heat = less life. Just like the VW beetle, It's life expectance when new was 75K mikes, vs a water cooled car of that era was designed to last 100K even though both were machined equally well and with superior componants. If your looking at a used bike, IMO just doo all the above checks, and if everything checks out, go for it.

Comment

i agree with Scotty. like a car that is well maintained, a bike with 50K or more, provided it is taken care of and well maintained, is the same as a car with 150K. If the compression/leakdown is good, and doesn't sound like it is going to grenade or uses little or no oil, Mileage should not be a concern. kinda like buying a used car, usually if you open the hood, and theres a ton of grease in it, not clean, or looks like its been through hell and back, your first tempation is to just walk away. One reason people say bikes go for less mileage than a car is because most bikes are air-cooled, and therefore run hotter than water cooling. more heat = less life. Just like the VW beetle, It's life expectance when new was 75K mikes, vs a water cooled car of that era was designed to last 100K even though both were machined equally well and with superior componants. If your looking at a used bike, IMO just doo all the above checks, and if everything checks out, go for it.

Comment

Comment

i agree with Scotty. like a car that is well maintained, a bike with 50K or more, provided it is taken care of and well maintained, is the same as a car with 150K. If the compression/leakdown is good, and doesn't sound like it is going to grenade or uses little or no oil, Mileage should not be a concern. kinda like buying a used car, usually if you open the hood, and theres a ton of grease in it, not clean, or looks like its been through hell and back, your first tempation is to just walk away. One reason people say bikes go for less mileage than a car is because most bikes are air-cooled, and therefore run hotter than water cooling. more heat = less life. Just like the VW beetle, It's life expectance when new was 75K mikes, vs a water cooled car of that era was designed to last 100K even though both were machined equally well and with superior componants. If your looking at a used bike, IMO just do all the above checks, and if everything checks out, go for it.

Comment

well my gs1000g has over 127,000 miles on it and is still going!
                    If I remember correctly hap's bike has in the neighborhood of a quarter million miles on it.

Comment

Originally posted by focus frenzy
                      well my gs1000g has over 127,000 miles on it and is still going!
                      If I remember correctly hap's bike has in the neighborhood of a quarter million miles on it.
                      HAP HAS HAD HIS ENGINE APART A COUPLE OF TIMES I BELIEVE --WHEN HE DID THE OVER BORE FOR ONE THING--IM WONDERING IF ANY ONE WITH AN E MODEL THAT HAS NEVER BEEN REBUILT CAN CLAIM MILEAGE ANY WHER NEAR YOUR G

Comment

well my G only made it to 116,000 miles before I put new pistons and rings in it, the cylinders were worn to 1mm over spec and only repuired a good honing and truing to fit the oversized pistons.

the bottom end is still original and I have confirmed that the regulator rectifier is original! (got to be some kind of record!!) I am not sure about the stator, instead of having green/white,blue/white,and yellow wires, it has red/white, blue/ white, and yellow wires.

Comment

focus yep stator seems original my stock stator had same color wires as yours does

Comment

My friend has last years model Honda Civic and it has screw-adjusted valve tappets. I'm sure they only need to be checked a few times in the vehicles life and his car will last atleast 400 000km now matter how hard he drives it. Most cars now-adays have 4valves per cylinder as well.

Steve

Comment

Working...
                            X