Request for tips on plastic repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Request for tips on plastic repair

The rear cowling on my 1100 is loose, because the plastic is broken at the rear mounting brackets. I'm thinking I ought to fix it. Anyone have any special tips?

Normal position:

Showing the break:

As for root cause, it's broken because I bungee my heavy riding pack to it. I'm thinking that I ought to build in some kind of rail and/or strong mounting system as well.

im not sure any adhesive.

iv used jb weld, plastic epoxy, liquid steer and super glue on my broke mount tab for the side cover on my 1100E. they all break.

Comment

I've used Devcon's "Plastic Welder" with success: repairs have lasted over 20 years on the mounting tabs on the side panels, fairing, etc. I always rough up the surfaces for better bonding (score with knife, dimple with drill bit, etc), and have usually bonded in some metal for extra strength (e.g. cotter pins, stainless pins, aluminum, etc.).

BB

Comment

Don't know if this will work in your situation, but the side panels on my wife's Seca are held on with Velcro, which I attached to the panels and the frame and airbox cover with a strong automotive adhesive. Works pretty well.

Comment

Mkay. I think I'll build a metal rim to go around the whole rear cowling. I'll look into that "Plastic Welder" and JB Weld stuff for reattaching the plastic. It should be a good opportunity to enhance my cargo capabilities too.

Michael

Comment

I would use a soldering iron to fix that crack. The soldering iron will put out a lot of smoke so work outside. I've used different types of repairs on sidecovers and they are never as strong as before. One product that I haven't tried yet is Plastex. I hear it is pretty good for patching together fairings, etc.

Steve

Comment

Working...
            X