Battery question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Battery question

Just wondering. The battery on my 83 1100 is pretty well buried and the airbox must be removed to top off the electrolyte level. Its difficult to see the level accurately with it in the bike. Has anyone tried adding water based food coloring to the water to tint it for better visability?

Earl
    All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Interesting idea, Earl, but I suspect the acid would break down the coloring agent and ultimately return the electrolyte to "clear." I have some extra acid from my recent new battery ... If I get a chance I'll give it a try and let you know what happens...

Regards,
    Steve 8)

Comment

Hmmm, didnt think of that. :-)

Earl

Originally posted by Planecrazy
      Interesting idea, Earl, but I suspect the acid would break down the coloring agent and ultimately return the electrolyte to "clear." I have some extra acid from my recent new battery ... If I get a chance I'll give it a try and let you know what happens...

Regards,
      Steve 8)

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

or nutralize the acid or form a film on the plates.

hmm I might fire off a E-mail to Yuasa asking them.

Comment

Only a few drops of colourant would be involved, so film on the plates would be unlikely, but neutralization is highly probable.

Most common dyes are not acid-tolerant, and the sulfuric acid in your battery is much stronger than acids normally found in any household.

DO check with a manufacturer to find one that fits the need.
          Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

It could also cause foaming if the coloring is alkaline based.

Comment

Re: Battery question

Originally posted by earlfor
              Just wondering. The battery on my 83 1100 is pretty well buried and the airbox must be removed to top off the electrolyte level. Its difficult to see the level accurately with it in the bike. Has anyone tried adding water based food coloring to the water to tint it for better visability?

Earl
              Earl, You asked for this...........................

IT SURE IS QUICK AND EASY TO CHECK AND FILL THE BATTERY WITH PODS!!!!!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!
              IBA# 24077
              '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
              '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
              '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

Simple solution Get a sealed maintance free battery.

Comment

Dont worry Joe, I have the perfect location in mind to install your pods for you. :twisted:

Earl

Originally posted by Joe Nardy

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor
                    Dont worry Joe, I have the perfect location in mind to install your pods for you. :twisted:

Earl

OOOOUUUUCCCCHHHH! That sounds more painful than removing and replacing the airbox!

If it's where I think you're thinking wouldn't that be more of an EXHAUST opening rather than an INTAKE opening?

Maybe the maintenance free battery is a better idea....................

Joe
                    IBA# 24077
                    '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
                    '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
                    '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

:-) :-)

E.

OOOOUUUUCCCCHHHH! That sounds more painful than removing and replacing the airbox!

If it's where I think you're thinking wouldn't that be more of an EXHAUST opening rather than an INTAKE opening?

Maybe the maintenance free battery is a better idea....................

Joe

Comment

Working...
                      X