Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help! Turns out Suzuki isn't German (12V plug)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help! Turns out Suzuki isn't German (12V plug)

Guten Tag, everyone. (apologies for the bad movieGerman)

Just bought a snappy helmet intercom system from Deutschland with indecipherable instructions that read "just plug the power into your 12v socket". Yikes. The power cord ends in a plug that kinda looks like a cigarette lighter plug, but isn't.

Now I know most modern touring bike have accessory plug outlets, but back in '81 when my bike was made...

Am I looking at splicing the intercom's power wires directly onto the battery terminals? Where do I cut? Or is there some kind of adaptor plug i can find at any automotive shop?

Is any of this even possible with the electrical system on my 81 GS850?

And as a side note, ever wonder why are all helmets intercoms so fly-by-night and junky? Where's Motorola etc in all this?

Cheers,
    Rob

Or am i just a complete idiot and if it's 12v, the intercom power plug's gotta be a plug for a cigarette lighter socket?

So should I wire something like this onto my battery? Maybe mount it poking out a side panel?

or maybe

thanks

Comment

Go to your BMW dealer and get their overpriced plug. The other option
      use a reg cig lighter & cut the plug off the intercom & install a cig plug

Comment

How about a little 2 prong 12V connector from Radio Shack, wired in to the fuse panel, where it will only work with the ign. on? Wouldn't be near as big and noticable as a cigar lighter.

Comment

Talk to the good folks at http://www.powerlet.net/, tell them what kind of intercom setup you bought and they can help you select the right plug for your setup.

Given that it's a german intercom (I'm guessing Baehr?) it probably has a BMW plug on the end, in which case it will plug right into a powerlet socket.

I use one of these for my electric vest plug in on my 650.

Comment

Thanks for all the advice.

yes, it tunrs out is a german plug. The intercom is from a companay call MIT (catchy huh?).
            I'm ordering the powerlet for long term solution and future electric vest. Thanks.

Meanwhile, I love the idea of wiring the simple 2 prong 12v conector into the fuse box so it's tied into the ignition. Is there a trick to it? A best place to wire into/onto? (sorry, I'm not in front of my bike or the shop manual right now)

Off to radio shack.

Welcome to RadioShack's official website. Search and shop for electronics, gaming devices, powerbanks, audio products and business traveling gear.

thanks

Comment

Nice thing about accessory plugs is that they can be wired directly to the battery without fear of them draining it when the bike isn't running - they only draw power when the accessory (electric vest, intercom, etc) are actually plugged into them.

I have my plug in wired directly to the battery with a fused switch in between so that I can plug my vest in and then flip the switch when I want heat. When I'm off the bike, the vest isn't plugged in so there is no power draw.

The simplest way to do it is to run a power lead with an inline fuse holder to a toggle switch on the handlebars (within easy reach of the left hand), then run the power wire from the switch to your accessory plug location. The ground wire from the plug can then go to the nearest ground location on the frame - flip the switch and power goes to the plug.

The bulletproof way is to have a toggle switch on the bars that is tapped into switched power on the bike - check your manual wiring diagram to find which wires coming out of the ignition switch are switched power and then tap into one of those. the power wire coming off the toggle switch will control a relay that is hooked directly to the battery, and when it is on will send power to an auxiliary fuse panel which has all your accessories connected to it. when the switch is off, the relay is open and no power goes to the auxiliary panel - flip the switch on with the bike on and the relay closes and sends power to the panel and all your accessories.

you can then put in extra switches for your accessories so that you can control when they are on or off without having it be an all or nothing setup.

this takes a little more work, but gives you better control over your accessories

Comment

wow, thanks so much for the detailed instructions. I'll definitely put them to good use when i mount it permanently (right now I need it removable for a motorcycle rental trip overeas)

So temporarily I wired direct to the battery with a quick release plug, the rest of the intercom and wires hidden in the little rear cowling trunk. Thanks again for all the help!

Cheers,
                rob

Comment

The RadioShack plug is not a quality part. I would go with a Grote as it has 12 gauge wire that's difficult to rip out of the plug. I've busted a few different brands of 2-prong plugs in the last few years and the RadioShack was the shortest lived.

Steve

Comment

Working...
                  X