Exhaust packing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exhaust packing

I just repacked my exhaust with steel wool (per someone suggestion on here) to replace the virtually nonexistant fiberglass packing that had probably been in my bike since '78. Its still louder than I would like it to be. Is there a way to quiet it down more?

bump!! anybody?!?!?

Comment

What type & brand of exhaust do you have?

Terry

Comment

I have a 'Suzuki' 'stock' exhaust

I was out running it again, and i'm not sure I want to quiet it down afterall, because it SOUNDS SO GOOD!

However, I'm still interested in suggestions because I may change my mind back! 8)

Comment

Hmmmm I'm puzzled. I also have 2 78 GSs (1000s) & they're still as quiet as the day they popped off the assembly line. I wasnt aware thet stock exhausts were re- packable. How did you get the old baffles out without trashing the whole exhaust?
          If you change your mind about the sound of steel wool, try something like this: http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/produc...eafCatId=40303

Terry

Comment

there are a bolt on the end of the megaphone holding the baffle in. I had to pull off the whole muffler, stick something in the 'in' end, and pound on it to get it out.

Comment

What model GS do you have? The stock 1000 & 750 exhausts don't have bolts on either side anywhere near the end of the exhaust.

Terry

Comment

Fiberglass exhaust packing is layered and very dense. I assume that the steel wool is not dense enough to provide any absorption of the sound.

By the way, not to flame anyone here (hope no offense is taken you or the person who suggested), but steel wool packing in an exhaust is just about the worst idea I have ever heard in my life. Ever leave a Brillo pad in the sink? It turns to rusty dust in less than 20 hours. Exhausts by nature collect lots of mositure, both from the enviroment and condensation from the engine. To me, that sounds like the best way to trash a muffler in the quickest time possible. Sorry, just MHO.
                Currently bikeless
                '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Originally posted by humhead
                  What model GS do you have? The stock 1000 & 750 exhausts don't have bolts on either side anywhere near the end of the exhaust.

Terry
                  oh jeeze, what a moron I am... I didn't say. I've got a GS400

I do realize that steel wool is going to rust out, and I'm gonna have to do it again. I'll probably go with the fiberglass packing the 2nd time around, but I found the steel wool in the basement, so it was free and now. It does sound hella good though, it kinda has this beefy burble to it

Comment

Just to clear things up (and get this thought out of my head- I need the room..)

I seem to remember someone recommending STAINLESS steel wool which is available somewhere, as exhaust packing.

The original suggestor is probably pounding away furiously at the keyboard as I type this

Comment

Originally posted by Philly_Chris
                      Just to clear things up (and get this thought out of my head- I need the room..)

I seem to remember someone recommending STAINLESS steel wool which is available somewhere, as exhaust packing.

The original suggestor is probably pounding away furiously at the keyboard as I type this

regular steel wool... I priced out some stainless steel wool, and that stuff is kinda spendy

Comment

Working...
                      X