Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tach. Cable drive in head will NOT stop leaking!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tach. Cable drive in head will NOT stop leaking!

I have replaced teh o-ring in the drive for the tach on my '80 GS850G with 34k but it only slowed the leak! How do I tighten it properly and get it to stop!!

Did you take out the whole tach gear housing, and replace "all" the oil seals, or just the one in the front?
    Frosty (falsely accused of "Thread-Hijacking"!)
    "Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot."

Owner of:
    1982 GS1100E
    1995 Triumph Daytona 1200

Comment

On my bike, the shaft on the driven gear was worn where the seal lip rides, so I had to replace that. It was only $10 or $11, I think. Or was it $23? Anyway, it was well worth it.

Here are pictures, instructions, and all the gory details:
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Me too, I replaced the seal, o-ring, and gear. I couldn't stand the smell of my oil dripping onto the exhaust in traffic.

Cheers, Steve

Comment

Originally posted by frosty5011
          Did you take out the whole tach gear housing, and replace "all" the oil seals, or just the one in the front?
          Just the outer one. How hard it is to get to the inner seals? Can I misalign the gear? Can anyone take me through the steps? I don't think my Cylmers has anything on it?

Comment

Originally posted by shortlid
            Originally posted by frosty5011
            Just the outer one. How hard it is to get to the inner seals? Can I misalign the gear? Can anyone take me through the steps? I don't think my Cylmers has anything on it?
            Go further up to earlier post....Bwringer put up an excellent link with pictures to show you how to replace "all" seals. Not to worry, it's a very simple job, hard to mess up.
            Frosty (falsely accused of "Thread-Hijacking"!)
            "Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot."

Owner of:
            1982 GS1100E
            1995 Triumph Daytona 1200

Comment

Great write-up!!

Thanks I did not follow the first time. Nice write-up geting the sleave now!

Comment

Working...
              X