HELP! gs1100ed odd noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP! gs1100ed odd noise

today i went on a short ride, about 7 miles @ 65mph and on the way home i cruised at about 90 those 7 miles. as i let off the throttle to slow down via engine i hear this noise that sounds like a car's blower motor's bearings going out. or just bearings going out in a electric motor. but when i gave it gas all is fine. i got home and tryed to pin point the noise but i cant... noise doesnt change in any gear or with the clutch pulled. if i pop the throttle up and down it'll be nice and quiet while the rpm's raise and then rattle on it's way down. oh yeah and it does it solid idling @ 1k, gone at 1.5k it's gone.

any ideas? i pulled the stator cover off to see if my rotor came loose. nata. i have some clutch basket rattle but that's not it.

oh yeah, i cant feel the noise. it hasnt change how it runs at all and there's no smoke.

well i just went and loosend the set screw on the side of the cam chain tensioner. it clicked alittle as soon as i loosend it. it still made the noise bad when i started it but after a ~10 min ride of listening to it , it started to go away. not the noise only happends when you release the clutch to take off or when ever you lug it down low in the rpm's

Comment

Just to make sure you and I understand each other: You're talking about the lock-screw and nut on the side of the camchain-tensioner? That needs to be locked in the ''out'' position so it won't disturb the automatic adjusting of the tensioner. When it can't move freely like on your bike, the camchain will start to rattle indeed like you say.

Cheap solution to a bad noise, you lucky man!

Marco.

Comment

8O

i just put it on how i found it, after i loosend the locknut the set screw was tightend TIGHT. so do i loosen the set screw and then tighten the lock nut? then what is the purpose of the set screw?

Comment

Following the manual, you need to lock the compressed spring-loaded part of the tensioner before you put it in the block. When this is done, you turn the lockscrew out to release the spring-loaded part to do its tensioning job. Then you tighten the locknut (holding the lockscrew still with a screwdriver) to prevent the lockscrew from spontaneously locking the tensioner again.

Marco.

Comment

thanks! that's a real releaf. ill go try it ina few minutes. that noise had be real worried.

Comment

well that didnt change it.

it's from the lower end. when i listen to each piston i can hear the noise across them all. it allmost sounds like REALLY bad clutch rattle, but when i remove the oil filler cap i just hear the typical clutch rattle and not the noise that's so bad on the outside. i think im loosing a main bearing.

Comment

and it's only doing it at idle or luging under load at low RPM. sound is gone 100% at 1.5k and doesnt come back and any rpm.

Comment

I'd pull the valve cover and check the cam chain, guide, and tensioner. Then try the clutch. Make sure the hub and everything is tight. I wouldn't ride it till you figure out what is making the noise.

Comment

You could also drain your oil and check it and the magnetic drain plug for metal particles. nasty if there is.

Comment

i droped the oil and nothing was in it. the filter has afew minor specs here and there but i blame them on my clutch basket.

soo... the fear go's on. 8O

ill pull the clutch off today, maybe the valve cover too today if not tommorow. now the sound just sounds like a loud clatter like the clutch. bad and only at idle. very smooth and silent under rpm's off and on power.

trying to search my mind on what could do this type of noise and it's blank. time to rip it apart :x

Comment

well i think i found it. it's clacking on the left most piston. i dont think it's a rod but a bad case of piston slap.

so i guess it's time for new pistons rings ect.

why couldnt this have happend in the fall? hope the sleeve isnt damaged.

Comment

Originally posted by akhoundog
                          well i think i found it. it's clacking on the left most piston. i dont think it's a rod but a bad case of piston slap.

so i guess it's time for new pistons rings ect.

why couldnt this have happend in the fall? hope the sleeve isnt damaged.
                          Look at the bright side.................what could be a better excuse for a big bore kit?

Joe
                          IBA# 24077
                          '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
                          '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
                          '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

Shouldn't piston slap get louder with revs? Did you pull the coil wire to that cylinder when running and got a different sound?

Comment

i pulled the cap off the plug and it didnt change the noise. havent had a chance yet to pull the valve cover off.

Comment

Working...
                              X