No announcement yet.

HELP! gs1100ed odd noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a similar rattle/noise ('83 1100ED) that goes away once the oil reaches the 200+ degree mark. Any ideas?
    Plus my brakes (especially the front) sound as though there are a couple of mice "gettin' busy". This only happens once I've been riding for a while 20-25 miles. I'm guessing hot brake pads/dust?????????

Comment

check your oil filter. this is mine 8O

Comment

Ow! Where did all that come from?

Comment

I have a noise similar to this on my '82 GS1100E with almost 38K mi. Other than this noise eminating through the engine it runs fine. But the noise does NOT sound healthy. I haven't been running it for over a year while I try to figure out the problem.

Is it possible to describe what piston slap sounds like?

Been through many of the same steps you have, isolated clutch, generator, not the problem. Installed new rear cam chain guide which was worn quite a bit, made sure cam chain tensioner OK. Valves at proper clearance.

The noise is directly related to RPM, whether clutch in or out, in gear or not, bike underway or still. It has to be in the front of the engine, pistons or crank.

Would like to know for sure what the issue is before I put more $ into the bike. Its a beautiful bike, I like it a lot (My GS1100EZ) but I have to be practical.

Comment

That's a good looking bike!
            I'm going to try recording the noise I have and see if there's away of attaching it to a post (most likely through a webpage link -right, tech guys?).

Comment

I can host your sound if you make a recording of your bike noise. Try making a bunch of recordings from the front and sides of the bike. As many positions as possible. Weird about that sound though. Usually when a bike gets "rattlier" with differences on power it usually is the cam chain. As you put the power on, the increased torque puts more tension on the cam chain and quiets it down, then off the power it slackens up again getting more of a rattle to it. I had a similar problem when I replaced my vlave springs and took my engine apart and cleaned up the pistons and head. For the first 1000 kms it was a little wonky, Evertime I started the bike it would be a little "rattlely" untill I took the cam chain adjustment knob and twisted it counter-clockwise a half turn and then let it slap back into place then it was good for the whole day. It's gone now as the engine has been re-worked in but maybe you could give that a shot and see if it helps you. Your cam chain adjuster may just be sticky.

Comment

Just thought I'd update this post...

I bought this bike with the motor out of it and took it home. I tore the head and block off it tonight 8O

Now I just want to say, He didn't have any way of knowing it was this bad, but it was not piston slap. I'll post some pictures tommorow, but the motor is junk.

Something came loose and bounced around the crank and crankcase around the #1 cyl. Damage includes piston skirts and underside, banged up rod, Cylinder liner is BROKEN, crankcase just ahead of line is broke, and the lower case is broken out towards the tranny on the inside just below the seam.

Where do I start looking for a block and case halves?

Comment

Update?

Well it's been about 1500 miles since I got the bike (had to spend most of 2005 off due to fubar'd shoulder). Anyway the noise is still there, there is no debris in the oil -I used the screen from a storm window as I drained the oil- and the filter was "clean", performance is as great as ever.
                  I did try recording the noise but was unsuccessful.

Cam chain tensioner made no difference, the noise is not power related as much as heat, there when cold -below 160 degrees, gone as the needle passes the 160 mark.

Comment

Originally posted by Plasterdog
                    Well it's been about 1500 miles since I got the bike (had to spend most of 2005 off due to fubar'd shoulder). Anyway the noise is still there, there is no debris in the oil -I used the screen from a storm window as I drained the oil- and the filter was "clean", performance is as great as ever.
                    I did try recording the noise but was unsuccessful.

Cam chain tensioner made no difference, the noise is not power related as much as heat, there when cold -below 160 degrees, gone as the needle passes the 160 mark.
                    My 1983 GS1100E has possibly the same noise.
                    It now has 42,000 miles on her and has had the noise since I bought her 4 years ago w/22,000 miles.
                    If you idle around 12-1500 and have the carbs clean and synched with good rubbers, so should see it disappear. I did.
                    I have always been to tell when the bike wasn't beginning to run right because off the sound.
                    Almost like the engine is chugging, right??
                    Hope this helps.
                    Could be a sign of more problems,but I would try these as a test.
                    Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
                    2000 Kawasaki Concours
                    Please wear ATGATT

Comment

By the way plasterdog, where about do you live??
                      Could help if you are local, to New England.
                      Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
                      2000 Kawasaki Concours
                      Please wear ATGATT

Comment

Originally posted by crag antler
                        My 1983 GS1100E has possibly the same noise.
                        It now has 42,000 miles on her and has had the noise since I bought her 4 years ago w/22,000 miles.
                        If you idle around 12-1500 and have the carbs clean and synched with good rubbers, so should see it disappear. I did.
                        I have always been to tell when the bike wasn't beginning to run right because off the sound.
                        Almost like the engine is chugging, right??
                        Hope this helps.
                        Could be a sign of more problems,but I would try these as a test.
                        I'll take a look at the carbs, but the (at least the one I'm getting) sound does not appear to be related to power as the motor runs real smooth throughout, though it is louder when idling.

Comment

Originally posted by crag antler
                          By the way plasterdog, where about do you live??
                          Could help if you are local, to New England.
                          Evanston, (Chicago).
                          But I will be in Boston area in August.
                          But !@%@^$#@&$#**%$* not with the bike.

Comment

Clanking sound

Im pretty certain that the sound I hear on mine is a cam chain adjustment problem.
                            I only really hear the sound under heavy load (letting the clutch out) or when winding down. At first I thought it to be my drive chain which needed adjustment anyway. But the sound didn't go away.
                            So I guess the question is...without ripping into the engine in a big way how do I solve the cam chain adjustment problem being that it is a spring loaded device?
                            Im not as savvy at working on bike motors as some of you are. Although with the advice I have gotten from this BB I have saved lots already by removing my own front tire to replace the rubber. It also helped in quieting the brake noise on my wife's Yamaha.
                            So what do you all recommend about the cam chain tensioner. I'm gonna try the twisting the adjuster knob and letting it slap back...but I dont think that anything moved last time I touched it...like I knew what I was doin'. I described my noise as sounding like a nut was floating in the oil and knocking the sides of the case. I know that probably isnt possible so it must be the cam chain.

Comment

I've had a similar clacking noise coming from my bike for 2 years. I have tried everything to figure it out to no avail. Once I decided it wasn't rod or main bearings, I just quit worrying about it. I decided if the noise was harmful, I would find out soon enough what it was. It's now been about 7K miles and I'm still waiting.

These bikes make noise. One common source of noise is cam-end float. Something in the camshaft mechanism knocks against something else. It's harmless but sounds bad.

If you are worried about your bearings, you can check them out. Search in the old Q&A on this site.

Comment

Wish someone could give it a listen.

If anyone familiar with the GS1100e lives close to Springfield, MA I'd love to have ya come over and take it for a scoot to hear it. It's really bothering me. I can provide the beer.

Comment

Working...
                                X