Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rusty chain question

Ok...

I'm almost to the point of starting my bike for the first time since I got it.

I have a question about the chain, however.

You see, the chain on this bike is lightly rusted, and completely dry (no grease). The rust isn't bad enough to make it stiff, squeaky/noisy (at least when rotating the wheel by hand, or when I tested the starter motor), but it's bad enough that the whole chain is covered in it.

Is there anything I can do to easily remove the rust, or should I just grease the chain right over the rust? Or do I need to replace it?

I can post a picture if needed...

Personally I'd replace it and probably the sprockets too if the teeth are pointed and have no flat tips on them as they should. You just can't skimp on too many things on a motorcycle that won't eventually come back to bite you. Losing a chain at speed in a curve would have you seeing the world at many new angles, or maybe for the last time. Better safe than sorry.

Comment

If it turns freely and the sprockets are in good shape, I think I would just clean as much rust off with some WD40 and a stiff plastic brush, then hit it with the chain lube. Motorcycle Consumer News did a comparison on chain lubes a while back and I believe PJ1 in the black and yellow can came out on top. Don't buy the blue and yellow can, it flings off to easy.
      Axel

Comment

Good points above. You must check the chain AND sprocket teeth for wear.

I would not use the WD 40 as its presence will prevent the next lubricant from sticking as well as it should, or prevent it from getting into the tight spots where it is needed most, and WD40 is not good enough for that job by itself.

An old method it to remove the chain and soak it in a pan of HOT gear oil.
        (Not more than 200F....A bit less than the boiling temperature of water)

That gets the chain parts expanded and lets the oil get into all the spaces it might not otherwise go. Pick it up with tongs after a few minutes and bend it back and forth, to make sure all the links are moving, then put it back in the oil bath. Let it sit overnight, then rub it down with paper towels and it is fully lubed and ready for installation.

There are several good spray type chain lubes...look for previous posts for their names. They go on well, sink right into all cavities, and stick .
        Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

soak it in kerosen<<<not spelled right im sure :P oh, thats if its a non o-ring chain

Comment

cook it in hot oil

Yes, the proper thing to do is buy a new one.. but they're expensive. I cooked mine in hot oil, like the other guy said .. and it did fine

Comment

Sounds like it is an o ring chain if it still rotates ok. Give it a good wipe over with oil and a rag, then lube it and use it. Don't use hot oil etc on an o ring chain. If it runs ok you are lucky. If not, new chain and sprockets time.

Comment

Working...
              X