Stock Fork Springs??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stock Fork Springs??

Here's an easy one - does anyone know whether the stock springs on a 82 GS1100e are progressively wound (wound tighter at one end than the other)?

I'm trying to figure out whether my bike already has Progressive Springs.

Thanks,

Jeff

Re: Stock Fork Springs??

They were on my 79 750 and are on my 85 1150. Its probably reasonable to assume the stock 82 1100 springs would be also.
    So thats a definite maybe Jeff. :-)

Earl

Originally posted by Mr. Jiggles
    Here's an easy one - does anyone know whether the stock springs on a 82 GS1100e are progressively wound (wound tighter at one end than the other)?

Jeff
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Sounds like a green light to spend more money and upgrade.

Thanks Earl.

Originally posted by earlfor
      They were on my 79 750 and are on my 85 1150. Its probably reasonable to assume the stock 82 1100 springs would be also.
      So thats a definite maybe Jeff. :-)

Earl

Originally posted by Mr. Jiggles

Jeff

Comment

At least its only money, and I do so enjoy spending yours. :-) :-)

E.

[quote="Mr. Jiggles"]Sounds like a green light to spend more money and upgrade.
        Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

They indeed are. At least mine were...

If you want to know if you have PS springs, I can work out the spring rate from the number of coils, spring OD and wire diameter. The stock springs are about 0.47kg/mm (SUPER soft) and the PS springs are about 0.70kg/mm. Both springs are close to 18" long, but the stock springs have 4.1mm diameter wire and the PS springs are 4.5mm diameter.

BTW, I cut about 4" off the end of my PS springs to get the rate up to 0.90kg/mm, which is much closer to what it should be for my 82 1100E and me on it (175lb plus gear). Really, it should be closer to 1.0kg/mm, but I couldn't get that to work in the space available.

Mark

Comment

I believe they are. I replaced the ones in mine with Progressives 'cause the front end was so mushy, and I had the forks apart anyway to do the seals. The stock ones measured up within limits, but they were still mush even with the preload cranked up full. With the Progressives I need NO preload.
            Kevin
            E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
            "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
            Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

Working...
            X