Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Replacing clutch this weekend, got any tips????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacing clutch this weekend, got any tips????

I'm replacing my clutchplates this weekend, I've got new clutchplates and a new gasket. Anybody have some tips to what difficulties I could expect to run in to??? I bought a new impact screwdriver for the job just to make sure I got the cover off.

make sure you put all the screws back in exactly the same holes, in my Thou there was one screw that the clutch people warned me about--if you put a slightly longer one in, it would hit the clutch basket. When i take any cover off i get a piece of cardboard, draw an outline of the cover, and poke holes through it where the bolts would be. Then when I pull each screw I put it in the cardboard at the proper hole. Can't possibly mix them up.

Ideally you would replace them whith socket head cap screws (stainless) then next time you just need an Allen wrench. good luck.

Comment

Clutch plate replacement is a fairly easy task but here's a few tips if you don't have the manual.
      1) Clutch hub nut can be difficult to remove. To keep the clutch hub from rotating, put transmission in top gear and have someone stand on rear brake. Or if you have cast wheels, you may be able to place a thick piece of wood through the swingarm to prevent it from turning. Don't do this with spoked wheels.
      2) Soak new clutch plates in oil for a half hour or so before installing.
      3) The 6mm clutch backing bolts should be torqued to only about 8-9.5lb-ft(1.1-1.3 kg-m). These bolts are not of a very high grade and will strip easily.
      4) If you're re-using the metal plates, check them for warpage. If they're okay, clean the surface with a scotchbrite pad or steel wool.
      Good luck,
      Axel

Comment

Replace the springs while you're in there.
        Check the hub and basket grooves for burrs.
        Clutch hub removal is not neccessary.

bill

Comment

Thanks for the tips guys, thegsresourses has been a major encouragement for doing more work on my bike instead of paying a shop to do it for me.

Comment

Originally posted by billp
            Clutch hub removal is not neccessary.
            bill
            You're right, what was I thinking?

Axel

Comment

Put the clutch in yesterday, everything looked okay in there. Impactscrewdriver works really well should have bought ages ago.
              Luckily no grooves or burrs or warped steel plates, even the gear for the clutch looked as good as new. Put some nice new shiny bolts on the cover to make it look good too. While I was in there I also cleaned the inside of the looking glass with WD40 and some q-tips so I can check the oil level more easily.

Comment

Riding the dykes?? lol

Comment

Yeah, we have lots of dykes running by the rivers, for gays go to Amsterdam

Comment

Originally posted by stimpy
                    Riding the dykes?? lol
                    So what?

Comment

Originally posted by jojo
                      Originally posted by stimpy
                      Riding the dykes?? lol
                      So what?
                      I gues they're just jealous because we can ride de dykes on a daily basis

Comment

Yeah, must be boring, not riding dykes...

Comment

Working...
                        X