Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1150 Anti Dive Dampening Units Earfor

Earl

Awhile back you mentioned disassembling the anti dive units on your 1150, by if I remember correctly, dremeling a slot on the pin holding the 4 position adjustment knob.

My problem is the one of the knobs on the fork does not have the same reveal as the other. There is three times the space between the plastic knob and the unit itself as compared to the other fork.

The one with little nominal reveal appears to be in working order but the other one is odd, as if a circlip, spring or something has broken internally causing it to float higher than the other knob.

Eventhough these things are unserviceable, I thought you'd found a way to dissassemble them as mentioned above.

My feeling is I'm getting different dampening on each fork.

I'd appreciate any advice, thanks Carter
    GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Re: 1150 Anti Dive Dampening Units Earfor

Carter, the pin in the top of the posi damper cap can be unscrewed with a pair of needle nose pliers or needle nose vice grips. Then the cap lifts off.
    The assembly is only a valve with a spring, piston and (if I remember) "O" ring which I found a replacement for at a hydraulic repair shop. Depending on the setting, the cap can be all the way up or down as it is a three position cap. I believe all the way up is stiff and down is soft.

Earl

Originally posted by Carter Turk
    Earl

Awhile back you mentioned disassembling the anti dive units on your 1150, by if I remember correctly, dremeling a slot on the pin holding the 4 position adjustment knob.

My problem is the one of the knobs on the fork does not have the same reveal as the other. There is three times the space between the plastic knob and the unit itself as compared to the other fork.

The one with little nominal reveal appears to be in working order but the other one is odd, as if a circlip, spring or something has broken internally causing it to float higher than the other knob.

Eventhough these things are unserviceable, I thought you'd found a way to dissassemble them as mentioned above.

My feeling is I'm getting different dampening on each fork.

I'd appreciate any advice, thanks Carter
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Earl,

So the cap actually lifts up when each position is chosen?

I thought it spun around making an internal orifice bigger or smaller depending on the number chosen.

Thanks for the previous reply, Carter
      GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

Yes, the cap moves up or down, depending on which setting you rotate it to.
        You can tell both sides are set the same simply by looking at the distance between the lower edge of the cap and the cylinder. Each setting is notched and should indent aprox at 90 deg intervals. There are three indent settings. Rotating the cap clockwise will move the cap to a higher position. The higher the position, the greater the dampening.

I'm fairly light, so I keep it set to position 2.

Earl

Earl,

So the cap actually lifts up when each position is chosen?

I thought it spun around making an internal orifice bigger or smaller depending on the number chosen.

Thanks for the previous reply, Carter

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

I or should I say we have a Works shock being built for her bike, that I ride most of the time.

It will be interesting to see the hopeful improvement in ride quality.

Would be nice to get the anti dive figured out to compliment the shock.

Thanks Earl, Carter

Comment

Other than an initial disassembly and clean up shortly after I bought the 1150, I've had no problems with the posi-damper units. They have worked perfectly.

Earl

I or should I say we have a Works shock being built for her bike, that I ride most of the time.

It will be interesting to see the hopeful improvement in ride quality.

Would be nice to get the anti dive figured out to compliment the shock.

Thanks Earl, Carter

Comment

Working...
            X