1983 GS750ES

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1983 GS750ES

Just got a call from a friend who indicated that his bike is stalling going into first gear. Starts, runs and idles fine. If you keep the revs up you can get it into first and once moving the bike runs normally. I will drop y to look at the bike later as I am suspecting that the clutch is not fully disengaging. However, it occurred to me that this cluch I believe is hydraulic. Is there any adjustment on a hydraulic clutch? Or is this a failed clutch or stuck clutch plates?

Thoughts?

It has a cable clutch, that is the first thing I would check. Good Luck, Ed.

1983 GS750ED
    2005 GSF1200S

Comment

Yes, it HAS a clutch cable.

Check and adjust the clutch cable play. Then remove the cover over the Push rod and adjust that as well. Turn it in until you feel it snug up, then back the screw out about 1/4 turn and snug up the jam nut.

Good Luck.

Comment

Thanks for the help, however I thought my memory was correct and this bike does indeed have a hydraulic clutch. Not sure if this is a mod or if we have the year incorrect but it is definitely hydraulic. The bike is registered as a 1983 GS750ES.

So any ideas on adjusting? I didn't check the fluid...thought about that later...will go over and do that this evening.

Comment

jlmoulto,

Post a pic of that clutch setup if you can!

/\/\ac

Comment

don't think that's stock jlmoulto. the 700 and 750 es of 83 and 85 all had mechanical clutches, if I'm not mistaken. could you post some more pictures of how the hydralics are going into the clutch cover?

Comment

Well, I've got the '83 750E and Bolder Biker has the 750ES and the bikes are mechanically identical except the Fairing.

So, that is definately a MOD.

Please post pics of how the Hydraulics are ran, that would help a bunch.

Just a thought, you may try to bleed the system.

Comment

I'll try to get more pics in the next day or so for you. Not being that bright, how would one go about doing such a mod? Is it possible that the engine came from a different bike altogether? Like a GSXR? Were there any 750s with a hydraulic clutch?

Having said that, I assume it is a 750...we might be dealing with a totally different beast!

Comment

Originally posted by jlmoulto
                  I'll try to get more pics in the next day or so for you. Not being that bright, how would one go about doing such a mod? Is it possible that the engine came from a different bike altogether? Like a GSXR? Were there any 750s with a hydraulic clutch?

Having said that, I assume it is a 750...we might be dealing with a totally different beast!
                  I would say so. Looking on Bikebandit, I found an '86 GSXR 750 with a hydraulic clutch, but no '83's. I looked at the '85 700's and all had cables.

So, I'd say different motor. If you look on the crankcase somewhere (mines on the left) it should have some cast numbers. Mine is (I think) 747 - Which is a 750 motor.

Should be some other numbers too that you may be able to cross reference.

Comment

Oh and BTW. Looking at the picture, it has the same instrument panel and plastic plate around the ignition key that my '83 750E has. Also, the right side switch and tank look the same. Leads me to believe that it definately has a different motor.

Comment

Thanks.

Had my friend look for the engine number and all he could locate was 5I4I3I2INII. Is his the serial number of the engine>

The valve covers on this bike are gold and the engine is black...Is that a clue for us?

Comment

GS750ES

I believe the 750 Katana with the pop up headlights came with a hydraulic clutch setup. Maybe the engine is out of one of these bikes?
                        MP

Comment

Originally posted by jlmoulto
                          Thanks.

Had my friend look for the engine number and all he could locate was 5I4I3I2INII. Is his the serial number of the engine>

The valve covers on this bike are gold and the engine is black...Is that a clue for us?
                          Sorry man, this is way over my head. However, just get some basic info on how to adjust a Hydraulic clutch. Must be some way to do it. You may have to open the clutch cover. Not sure. However, I would try bleeding the system first.

Good Luck.

Comment

keep us posted, I love mysteries

Comment

Working...
                            X