No announcement yet.

1983 GS750ES

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Still trying to figure this one out, but interestingly the problem with the clutch appears to have gone away on its own. Not sure if there was a stuck plate or air in the line, but seems to be working fine now. Really wish I could find a way of identifying that engine. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Comment

Post a couple of pics of the mystery motor.

Mark

Comment

May it be just a canadian spec 750 ES/EF.
        GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

Originally posted by Carter Turk
          May it be just a canadian spec 750 ES/EF.
          Don't think so.... I have, or had until I scrapped the frame the other day, a Canadian '84 GS750EF and other than the fairing and the EPA sticker its exactly the same as my '83 GS750ES (US spec)

/\/\

Comment

So I've added a couple of pics for you guys to look at. Any opinions on the type of engine we are dealing with here?

Hopefully this link works!

Comment

Wow. Looks just like my motor.

I'm at a loss.

Has anyone ever put a Hydraulic clutch on a GS?

Comment

That engine is out of a pop-up headlight Katana 750. It is essentially the same as the '83-'86 GS750 engine, with a hydraulic clutch. I think the cam timing may have been changed a bit as well for that model. Notice the gold-colored valve cover. That was on the Katana engines and is the dead giveaway.

I believe those bikes (pop-up kats) were made in '86, possibly '87 as well.
                sigpic

SUZUKI:
                1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
                HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
                KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
                YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

That engine must be a frankenstien, the 83 in canada has brushed aluminum covers on both sides of the engine and brushed aluminum valve covers. I see where the hydralic clutch piston is located on the pictures, and I am sure that is either a collection of parts from different engines put together or an engine out of a different year bike.

Comment

So we pretty certain on that being a Katana motor? Any way of telling for sure?

Thanks.

Comment

I think it will be the kat engine - it will bolt straight into the ES frame and has a few updates, one of which is a hydraulic clutch. You should be able to get hold of a manual off ebay etc pretty easy (its covered in the gs/gsx 750es manual) but just bleed it like you would with a brake system and that should sort it. If not, the plates and/ or springs might be gone, in which case a new kit should sort it. its not a tricky job but you might need an air gun to get the clutch basket nut off, couple of hours at a dealer but DON'T let them supply genuine suzi clutch plates cos they cost a fortune!!
                      good luck

Comment

My engine is exactly the same.

suzuki katana gsx 750.

more pics of simular bikes here and lots of resources about the bike

Comment

Working...
                        X